emigrating questions

angela33

Hi we are looking at emigrating but obviously unsure as to when. We would like to know if it is possible to get a job with a future start date so we aren't lost when we arrive and wasting money.

Also any suggestions as to what is a reasonable amount of cash to bring?

Are bank accounts and property rentals easy to sort. Are you better renting initially then buying afterwards? Are mortgages easy to get? Do they deal on joint or sole incomes please?

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks

Hi Angela,

Yes it is possible to get a job offer before you arrive but depending on your type of work some are more difficult than others. I'm in health and we employ people from overseas, it's a few years ago since we arrived and initially, my hubby's employer when he applied for a job said they needed someone right away and we didn't have a visa - so he didn't get an interview, but they kept his name of file and contacted when another position became available.

Cash is difficult as depends on lifestyles - I'd say you need to bring at least enough to survive for about 6 months if you can't find work.

You can sort out banks from the UK and activate when you get here, rentals, demand depends on areas, some will be easier than others, and whilst some people may have difficulty - everyone seems to get fixed up. If you rent you get to know an area to see if you like it - having said that I'd put in an offer on my house after 2 weeks.

Mortgages - once you're earning you should be able to get one.

The chances of getting a job offer when not in the country is low for most people, but it does depend on what you do.

Cash, I agree with ali.

Bank accounts are easy and can be set up from the UK then when you arrive you just go in and pick up the cards and things.

Mortgages are pretty easy. They can deal with joint or single income.

Rentals depend on where you want to live and budget.

Your other post asked about schools. It is similar to the UK. Some schools are in high demand and difficult to get into. Some aren't.

Guest guest10912
Hi we are looking at emigrating but obviously unsure as to when. We would like to know if it is possible to get a job with a future start date so we aren't lost when we arrive and wasting money.

Also any suggestions as to what is a reasonable amount of cash to bring?

Are bank accounts and property rentals easy to sort. Are you better renting initially then buying afterwards? Are mortgages easy to get? Do they deal on joint or sole incomes please?

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks

Thats kind of a lot of questions in one post and to be honest most are hard to answer with no information about you. You might be better off looking at one thing at a time and providing a bit more information on each. Anyway here are my comments and questions when I thought more information was required.

Not really sure I understand what you mean about the job thing, all jobs have a future start date don't they? What exactly is it you are hoping to do?

There is a lot of variety in how much funds people have to set up and it really depends. A single young person might be happy to use hostels, that probably won't work for a family of six. How many of you are there? There are two if us and we got through a good $25k even with both starting work within a fortnight.

Bank accounts easy. Rentals a bit harder but most people are sorted within a matter of weeks.

Renting or buying is a personal choice. Not sure why you need to ask if it is better to rent first, what makes sense to you? Getting a mortgage will be largely the same experience as you are used to in UK, depends on income, outgoings and credit history. Seems to be a tendency to lend large sums here, although I think that mortgages are possibly a touch harder to get than in UK at the moment.

Hi we don't have spare cash and once we've paid visa application and shipping costs and flights we won't have much left. We most certainly don't have 25k so we won't have months to wait to start a job. We need to be applying and having a job in the pipeline for when we arrive or within first few days. We are a family of 4. 2 children aged 8 and 4 who obviously can't look after themselves when we are working.

We only have so many questions as before we start paying any hard earned money out for visas we want to know we can survive and won't end up on a beach. As for rentals. We will want one to arrive to but my friend knows 3 realtors so I'm hopeful one of those can help with that. Thanks.

Hi Angela,

As far as i'm aware (and please, anyone tell me if i'm wrong), you need to show you have a certain amount to live in Australia. We're in the process of 190 State Sponsorship visa and for us, a couple, we've had to agree to having at least $30,000 AUD and how we intend on getting this money. For a family, it was definitely more. Whether or not you have to actually prove it I don't know, but we're not going to chance it.

Hi we don't have spare cash and once we've paid visa application and shipping costs and flights we won't have much left. We most certainly don't have 25k so we won't have months to wait to start a job. We need to be applying and having a job in the pipeline for when we arrive or within first few days. We are a family of 4. 2 children aged 8 and 4 who obviously can't look after themselves when we are working.

We only have so many questions as before we start paying any hard earned money out for visas we want to know we can survive and won't end up on a beach. As for rentals. We will want one to arrive to but my friend knows 3 realtors so I'm hopeful one of those can help with that. Thanks.

I'd be very cautious about coming without a job if you don't have funds, what will you do if you don't secure work before your money runs out? Things move pretty slowly here and even if you are successful at interview, depending on your employer, you might have two or three months before you can start.

I think you're asking many questions that are extremely difficult to answer without knowing a great deal more about you. I'd advise trawling through this forum, you'll get a lot of information from people who have been in similar situations.

Hi Angela,

As far as i'm aware (and please, anyone tell me if i'm wrong), you need to show you have a certain amount to live in Australia. We're in the process of 190 State Sponsorship visa and for us, a couple, we've had to agree to having at least $30,000 AUD and how we intend on getting this money. For a family, it was definitely more. Whether or not you have to actually prove it I don't know, but we're not going to chance it.

We applied and got the permanent 189 skilled visa and there is nothing in this visa that states you have to show that you have a certain amount of cash to live.

On this visa, you could, if you choose to do so, turn up with not a brown penny to your name.....not something that should be recommended!

Yes $30k is a lot of money. I don't think many people move over there with the intention not to work. We are both planning on working over there, but Western Australia has stipulated that we need to have that amount as a couple to cover our relocation costs. I believe for a family it was $40k. This was for a 190 State Sponsorship visa though

Edited by Claudette

Our 176 visa which is now the 190 we said we'd bring $70k with is as a family of 5, in the end it was around 50 but WA didn't check.

As a very bare minimum a family should $20-30k, you'll be surprised how quickly it goes on a car, rent bond etc.

If you want to buy property then you will need at least 5% deposit so another $20-30k.

Emigration is not cheap and strongly advise against doing it on a shoestring particularly with a family in tow !

Angela did you not ask, and I sent you, an Excel budget sheet that highlights pre-move costs, set up costs and living costs over here? I thought I had? If so if you fill that in it gives you the finacial answers. If not then send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. I think you need to complete it to show how difficult this type of move is to be honest. If you come over with not a lot then you may struggle and also do not assume that you can get two jobs quickly because many couples are finding it tough to get one between them at the moment.

My advice would be to try to save something, start up costs alone eat into what you bring. Usually relators want you to have seen a home before renting it to you (other than holiday rentals), also the cost of childcare, shipping furniture/buying new.

Edited by ali

Hi

We came here three months ago on a 176 PR visa. We knew my husband would not find work immediately and prepared financially for this. We also knew for the type of visa we are on, we had to provide financially for ourselves for two years, as we would not be entitled to any help, other than the equivalent of the child benefit back in the UK. He has been looking for two months for work now and still nothing. To be honest he does not even have anything in the pipeline. He is not worried at all, but I don't think him not working has helped my settling issues. We are not too concerned at the moment as we had covered this before we left, but please make sure financially you are ok, this is a very hard move emotionally, no matter how mentally prepared you think you will be for this and to have to start worrying about money and how you will afford to live really is not a great start to live your new life. Also to find a long term rental we had to show we have enough money in the bank to cover the bills for a year. We have also made sure that if after a year we have found Perth not to be for us we have enough money to go back to the UK and start again, we wont have the big deposit for a house, but enough money to find somewhere to rent and cover the bills.

I really don't wont to worry you, but you really do have to be prepared, from what I can see it is a fantastic life out here if you grab it with both hands and go for it.

Good luck with everything.

Sarah

Thanks very much. I'm finding the stress of if we can afford it a pressure already. I have a good paid job which I love at the moment and a nice home. Its a worry to lose them and not gain a better life because of finances.

I think it's a natural worry Angela especially when you've worked hard to establish your lifestyle there. On the job front - does either of your employers offer career breaks? May be worth thinking about. I think most of us on here would say that our lives are different to what we had in the UK not necessarily better - but like for like, I told my hubby before that move that I wanted to feel that I at least had a comparable home when we got here. Work wise (i'm a nurse), I did take a step back and went from working in the community to working on the wards for a few months, before I got the opportunity to apply for a community post - haven't looked back from there.