Anyone gone it alone?

portlaunay

After an inspirational conversation this morning I'm considering taking some advice and marketing myself, going it alone.

I'm certain there's a market for what I do, I have a network of professionals with the skills and resources to support what I want to achieve and I'm creative, experienced and passionate in my approach and what I can offer.

The thing is, I'm full of self doubt and I've only ever worked for large organisations.

For those new to Perth and those looking to make the move, much of the chat is about jobs, rarely is it about business opportunities or entrepreneurial ventures so does anyone think in this way? Are any of you looking to go it alone?

Yes I have. I decided to set myself up in private practice but before I did it I did a 'start your own business course' through Westcoast taffe - 6 weeks of evening classes once a week. That was really helpful in giving me the confidence to do it. I also met with someone who had done the same thing and picked her brains. Got my ABN, insurance business cards etc. Even bought the yellow dummies book on starting your own business. This was at the end of last year, have waited until schools go back and now I have been offered work somewhere else so it may not happen! If you think there is a market go for it!

You sound like the right sort of person to succeed in whatever you do tbh Porty. As you will know I am in the throws of opening a coffee shop / restaurant in Butler (Dome); the construction just got underway this morning as it happens. Believe me it's a really exciting time for the Turleys at the mo, it's all we seem to be talking about. Pretty clueless about running a business like this having sold furniture back in the UK, but that's what makes it all the more exciting and a complete change from the norm. You mustn't have self-doubt Porty because once you start working for yourself there is no looking back. Go for it, you will be just fine.

Rob

Porty

Same as the lottery you have to be in it to win it. If you never try you will never find out. Go for it as you have a positive attitude to most things. It can only go one of two ways. I am sure it will be right for you in what ever you chose to do. Good luck in your decision :biggrin:

We have an outside catering business here which we started from nothing four years ago. It is now really successful and at the point where we have to turn a lot of business away as we are booked up quite far in advance for summer weddings. We enjoy it and it gives us a good work life balance for half of the year but the summer is just crazy and having 2 kids to deal with makes it much harder. They miss out in the summer holidays as they are always with a babysitter. We will be leasing the business out to one of the chefs who work with us so the business will be looked after and the team will be the same when we go, we have a lot of trust in them and they are a great bunch, most have been with us from the start.

Hubby will go to work as a chef in Perth and I as a part time pastry chef/baker hopefully. He is not relishing the thought of putting in the hours that go with those jobs and is definitely interested in starting something up ourselves once we are settled. I am not convinced we can do the outside catering there as we don't have the support that we have here (we work all day Saturday into the early hours and sometimes stay away for the weekend) my sister babysits. We will definitely look at something but more family friendly shifts would be of more interest in the future.

Go for it Porty, have the confidence and your skills and knowledge will make it work.

Self doubt is the dry rot of dreams. It undermines all the wonderfully creative ideas we have.

I think by going on one of those courses it would go along way to helping you have the confidence you need. A friend of mine did one in the UK and said it was the best thing she could have done. She is now in the process of starting her own 'one man band' business. Hats off to her for being brave to start it.

Porty, I have every confidence in you being able to go for it because you have the skills and most importantly the right attitude.

I am thinking about starting a business, but haven't a clue what! Needs to be something that can generate enough cash flow for us to live on and not take much cash to set up as most of our savings have just gone into the house build. Am trawling through the net and looking at franchise opportunities.

Porty, I have every confidence in you being able to go for it because you have the skills and most importantly the right attitude.

I am thinking about starting a business, but haven't a clue what! Needs to be something that can generate enough cash flow for us to live on and not take much cash to set up as most of our savings have just gone into the house build. Am trawling through the net and looking at franchise opportunities.

Porty if you think you have a commodity/skill that is marketable, then go for it. You seem a chap with his head very firmly screwed on the right way round and have a very "out of the box" attitude to life, so I am sure that you will be successful. I wasn't aware you could do courses about starting up your own business and reckon that would be a good place to start - you never know who you would meet there either who could help the dream along. I ran a small one girl business in UK for a few years, and whilst it didn't make a fortune, it more than fed us and was the best thing for the family when the children were pre-school age.

Go for it Porty!!!

I have had such a desire to start on my own business that it has filled my waking mind with constant ideas and possibilities. But each time, after talking it over with others I hear the self doubt voice in my head. It is debilitating and erosive. I hate it. I have made so many excuses why it won't work or I have just procrastinated to the frustration of my OH.

On a positive note, I have tried to give myself a pep talk and remind myself that I am a capable woman who just singlehandedly applied for and gained a PR visa on behalf of my OH. I organised everything from start to finish. Admittedly, the self doubt made me check and recheck everything umpteen times for fear of getting it wrong, but I did it.

Last night I met a friend and she asked what was I going to do in Oz. I told her I had a dream of my perfect life. It was making /sewing things like bags or cute fabric toys in my workshop with a dog laying by my feet quietly. I successfully sold these things and in turn ran workshops teaching others to either sew or running art workshops, whilst providing homemade cake and chat in an informal environment. People coming together to experience something new and making friends too. Even as I said it the doubt demon started whispering in my ear.

My friend said she had complete faith in me to make it happen, she said lots of complimentary things which I won't repeat as you will probably gag. What was interesting was that she said she thought that I never got any of my ideas off the ground because I would always jump on to the next idea without acting on the first. I explained that it was in fact the self doubt thing that stopped me. At this point she thought I was nuts and said I should just DO IT!

I am hoping that the new brave me starting my life over will be the kick up the arse that I need. The course sounds a perfect place to start. Never know Porty, I may see you at one. It is held just down the hall from Basket weaving on a Thursday. :wink:

Edited by Akasully2
Typo

Do it! That sounds perfect and amazing I'm sure you'd do well, I'd buy those things off you I'm crap a making hints really ( maybe I'd come on you course later on too ha!) you only live once do not regret this life xx

Ahh, bless you Jenpen! You can be my first customer. You can even have an extra piece of cake! :laugh:

We have been discussing the pros and cons of going it alone since we were given the opportunity to buy into a business here back in October.

I constantly fly from one extreme to the other (it's the best thing. No wait it's the worst thing!) I know it's a fantastic opportunity and whilst it's never going to be huge it has the potential of being a good earner.

I suppose my main concern is that we are pouring half of our life savings into it but as Elfie said . You've got to be in it to win it!

So having said all of that as of this week my OH is now a partner in his very own water carting company - The Last Drop!

Guest guest9824
We have been discussing the pros and cons of going it alone since we were given the opportunity to buy into a business here back in October.

I constantly fly from one extreme to the other (it's the best thing. No wait it's the worst thing!) I know it's a fantastic opportunity and whilst it's never going to be huge it has the potential of being a good earner.

I suppose my main concern is that we are pouring half of our life savings into it but as Elfie said . You've got to be in it to win it!

So having said all of that as of this week my OH is now a partner in his very own water carting company - The Last Drop!

Yey so you have taken the plunge, splashed out and no doubt it will be worth it....great name too best of luck to you both!

Peax