upsetting and hectic time

Deb

You sound a lot more settled and reading your first post and your last post really is inspiring as many of us are about to experience the same heart ache and emotions whilst leaving our homes, so to know its real but possible helps others get through!!!

Good luck and keep positive, remind yourself of all the things that made u want to be there!

Kayli xxx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eb

I just read your first post on this thread with tears . running down my face, going this is going to be me!!

We are set to fly out in 8 weeks and I am now having melt down! Can't bring myself to book flights or movers although I have them holding a date.

How are you coping emotionally now? Does it get any better?

Mary

Some days are better than other trying to keep busy.Got some coffee morning planned with some of the pp and meet up in couple of weeks with others.

Grandkids when skype.then are saying nanny when you coming home thats the 3 year old what do you say to a little girl when she asks that.

Will know Tomorrow about another rental we have put in for . Just need hubby to get a job that not easy at the mo.

Thanks all for your support

You sound a lot more settled and reading your first post and your last post really is inspiring as many of us are about to experience the same heart ache and emotions whilst leaving our homes, so to know its real but possible helps others get through!!!

Good luck and keep positive, remind yourself of all the things that made u want to be there!

Kayli xxx

I agree with Kayli, keep positive Deb and things will get better!! Good luck and hope your husband find a job soon!

Tali xxx

We have been here nearly 5 weeks.

Still have a lot of down days but from what i read its the norm.

Skype helps a lot how people managed with out it.must of been so hard.

Just got our 1st rental going to sign up today.We move in in 3 weeks just as our container arrive so not got too long to wait for our stuff.Got a mattress to sleep on.looking for a fridge today got a washing machine yesterday.

Still no luck on the job front.Lot of money as gone on rental. We have paid 3months up front to secure it as we are not working.

Hoping it want be long before we get work then we can get a car.

House still not sold in Uk so looks like we might have to put up for rent.Was hoping to sell then we could look to buy here.

Hi Deb.

Glad you are slowly getting sorted. It takes a while.

I do recommend not over doing it on Skype as it can prolong homesickness. It is better to just contact at fixed limited points. I only figured this out a long time after moving, but do even see it in my life now when I work away from home. Years ago I was in the army and could be away for 6 months and only a letter every week. Now, I am away up to 6 weeks and actually get more homesick and I think it is because I am on Skype a lot to my wife.

Where is the rental you are going to?

I wouldn't worry about renting for a while and having to rent. To be honest I think it is a good thing to get used to areas first. Also, you might decide to build rather than buy - it is often cheaper here.

Deb you are doing so well, if you see this as the most difficult bit and you are working through it, things will just get better and better. Surely it is the most difficult part still having unfinished business in the uk and yet to get your teeth into a work routine in Perth and to add to that not settled in your own space yet. Immerse yourself in research and exploring see it as a great opportunity off work to really get to know Perth and what it has to offer you. Write yourself a diary it's good way to express yourself but also a great source of information on where you go and what you see incase you forget.

Most importantly stay aware of your motivations to emigrate try not to focus on what/ who you might be missing in the UK and set small goals to achieve each day.

i apologise if this post is not helpful or seems like therapy I don't mean it to be x

I agree...everyone on here has been incredibly supportive which I have found to be a god send. I've also enjoyed meeting up with some fellow PPs who are lovely people and I shall definitely continue to meet up with them...as well as looking forward to meeting more of you on Saturday!

Emigrating is a huge drain both physically and emotionally...what do they say are the three most stressful things you can do in life? Is it divorce, move house and move jobs? They missed this off: this is way more stressful!!!

Edited by Lou8670

• 1 month later...

Three months in thought I would let everyone know how we are doing.

Its happened - at last we are both working! I started a week ago and OH should be starting soon. I know you have to be patient and it happens, but its so hard when you see your savings disappear.

We where starting to think how much longer can we cope no money coming in. Having a house in England and sending money back has been a struggle.

When you are here you want to do so much and again you need to watch the pennies

We are now in our long term rental with our own stuff around us, so that helps a lot.

This forum has helped a lot with answers and advice, sending hugs and just everyone waiting to help. We have had a offer of a car to lend, furniture when ours went missing and we had nothing to sit on, the lovely ladies I have met up with, you have all helped me get thought the last 3 months. OH would not have a job if he had not come to PP meet up so all you newbies come to these meet ups it can change your life and you will meet some great people.

Still very home sick but getting out and about helps a lot

So thank you everyone for making our life a lot easier and for Lou arranging theses meet ups.

Sully tell your OH we owe him a few drinks.

Deb, we are both so happy to have helped your OH secure his job. Great news! Funny how these things work out, a chance meeting, saying the right things to the right person, at the right time. Enjoy your red wine and have a nutty dance round the kitchen!!!

All the best, Sully.

Deb, I am so so pleased for you both!!! Sometimes these things stall because someone's busy and they don't realise to someone else is desperately waiting them to make that next step. So the little chaser did the trick!

It's so brilliant that you both came to the little meet up I arranged in the Pirate Park, despite not having little ones so you borrowed some and came anyway! That you met other PP's and shared your experience so far and that your OH was still looking for work. That you met others in a similar industry and that Sully's OH, despite only having been here a short time themselves, happened to know someone who was looking for someone just like your OH! What a result!!!

Someone told my OH that 80% of jobs in WA are never advertised but go through word of mouth (not sure how true 80% is but I know it's a lot) so you definitely have to put yourself out there and meet people, find out what they do and let them know what you do. It's often about being in the right place at the right time :smile:

So when are we having a celebratory drink? Tomorrow in Little Creatures?!?

Lou x

• 8 months later...

Can not belive we have been here 12 month not been an easy 12months.

Still get very homesick.

We have bought our 1st OZ home. We know we would never be able to have a house like this back in England.

We spend a lot of time outside never would in England a few weeks if your lucky.

We are both settled in our jobs. We have made some good friends thought PP.

Can not get use to it going dark early, really miss the light nites.

Can not belive how much we use the public transport,never use busses in England.

Find we have more money here and we get to go out a lot more.

Love the weather and Perth

Going back for xmas thinking it might be harder to say goodbye again.

So miss my family, skype a lot which helps but it's not the same.

Dont want the kids to know me as the nan on the tablet.

Still dont know what the future holds do we stay or do we go back.

Thanks to everyone we have met on here,the help and support everyone has give us over the last 2 years. the friends we have made, you have all helped us settle.