Jobs in Perth

Ktee

A quick question what is the job situation like in Perth. Most of you probably know I live in Cairns and jobs are dire up there, the only vacancies that come up are in the hospitality industry and nurses.

I have heard a lot of new arrivals saying they can't get a foot in the door because they all ask for Australian experience. How are you suppose to get it if no one gives you a chance?

My contract ended in November 2013 and I haven't been back to work since. To be fair, I haven't looked for a job but I know there aren't any in the space I want to be working in so I've set up with a friend. There's certainly a void for those of us working in technology, WA has done pretty well for itself in digging stuff up out of the ground or building stuff so getting business to invest in tech is like wading through treacle.

Tell me more! Too picky? No jobs? Trying to find work in something you are not qualified in? Something else?...

PM me if its too personal (and you want to, of course!)

Well, I wouldn't say I am picky - I have had odd weeks of contract (temping) this has included a drillers off sider - you grab a bag weighing 70kg off a drill rig, run 10m with it, place it down, run back, repeat for 12 hours, in 45c heat and for minimum wage. Oh, and in a rubber respirator. So, nope not picky.

I am am trying to work in pretty much anything. My own industry is doing it very hard - my profession of exploration geologist has 40% unemployment at the moment. So, applying for what ever I can get. I start my job search (every day) with looking to see if anything has come up for my own profession - I search globally. Send off any applications. Then open the job sites with no search criteria and trawl through and apply for anything that I might have even a faint chance of getting.

things that go against me - according to people I have applied to -

i am over qualified

i will return to my own industry when it picks up

i don't have a particular ticket (Oz loves tickets - you even need one to make a coffee - I kid you not.

Among recent refusals where I have had an actual reply (most don't which I hate)

Woolworth night shelf stacker - they had 400 applicants for the 2 roles

i have been offered one casual job but on the far north fringes of Perth and the travel cost would have cancelled out the salary entirely as it was minimum wage.

I have looked at taxi driving. My last two taxis (paid for to go to the airport) I grilled them heavily. Both were degree quailed engineers who had not been able to find work for over a year and were now doing this but were going to abandon it as some days they were only making $20 for a 12 hour shift.

It must depend on the field of work. We have been here 2 weeks, my husband has had 2 interviews and 2 job offers, one of which he has accepted. He is an engineer but again, needs a tonne of wa tickets to work but both positions were willing to support him getting his full A grade electrical license even though this is a small part of his work. I'm a midwife and have a position once my registration is through and kids are settled. So depending on your line of work you may be ok.

Its difficult to suss out before arrival however, my husband applied for around 400 jobs from the UK with only 2 replies, until he was here and every day he was getting a call.

Fingers crossed for you.

It must depend on the field of work. We have been here 2 weeks, my husband has had 2 interviews and 2 job offers, one of which he has accepted. He is an engineer but again, needs a tonne of wa tickets to work but both positions were willing to support him getting his full A grade electrical license even though this is a small part of his work. I'm a midwife and have a position once my registration is through and kids are settled. So depending on your line of work you may be ok.

Its difficult to suss out before arrival however, my husband applied for around 400 jobs from the UK with only 2 replies, until he was here and every day he was getting a call.

Fingers crossed for you.

Hi sorry to jump on to what you've replied to someone but i just read about your husband being an electrician. If you could spare a couple of minutes is there any chance you could tell me what he needs to do for his WA license. i'm moving to Perth November time, already done VETASSESS skills recognition etc and know i'll need a white card, its just that some people are saying college for 6 months doing a logbook and also heard stories of a 10 day course costing about £800. Any advice you could give would be great thank you :)

This post worries me. I'm prepared for not working in my current occupation and had always thought well if I really can't get anything I'll stack shelfs. Looks like even that might not be an option with 400 applications for 2 jobs!!!

Ditto to that Derbygirl! My thoughts exactly. Hubby and I are more than willing try anything, but guessing it may not be that simple.

My recent experience is that it's tough, and even if you are prepared to 'do anything' there are lots of other people willing to do the same.

My parents started looking for work in October last year, mum has just recently got a casual care job - so driving round to people's houses and cleaning mostly, it's hard work and she never knows how many hours she'll have in a week or where they will send her (some weeks 20 hours, others 5 hours) so she's still looking for something else in the care industry - but again not picky - applying for anything. (She was a childminder in the UK, but doesn't have the quals required here)

Dad managed to get a job with TNT for 6 weeks through someone he met at the golf course, being driven around and loading and unloading deliveries. Again hard work and very long hours, but he's not complaining as he knows it's only for 6 weeks. Dad was a Materials/Production Planner in the UK.

I was made redundant from Oil & Gas in June last year, other than an 8 week temp assignment it took until November to secure a permanent job. For me I was being relatively picky - I wanted to work in my industry (governance) and there are hardly any jobs in Perth. The two jobs I applied for that came up in that space of time I got offered on the same day, so even though I was out of work for 4 months I count myself lucky.

Hi sorry to jump on to what you've replied to someone but i just read about your husband being an electrician. If you could spare a couple of minutes is there any chance you could tell me what he needs to do for his WA license. i'm moving to Perth November time, already done VETASSESS skills recognition etc and know i'll need a white card, its just that some people are saying college for 6 months doing a logbook and also heard stories of a 10 day course costing about £800. Any advice you could give would be great thank you :)

Firstly, does his VETASSESS give him his OTSR?? matt got his through Future Skills International in the UK and had a pretty tough assessment in London which meant he didnt have to do this once in WA, he has been able to register for a restricted provisional licence on arrival missing out a huge step. He did his white card through Blue Dog Training online - cost about $80 and can be done from the UK so again before arrival. He has just spoken with the local college who run the gap training course for overseas skilled migrants - it is full time, 2 weeks and costs $2800 plus another $700 for data and communication cabling course which he was told you need to gain the licence (he is just enquiring if there is any reduced fees for PR visa holders but it is a lot more than £800). You need to have an employer in order to start the gap training that is willing to support you. We heard this was difficult to find but wasnt our experience, having said that matt is not just an electrician but marine engineer (mechanical too with lots of naval experience) so this may be why. They say the log book needs to be completed in 12 months but it is a minimum of 1000 hours. NOT an easy process getting swapped over!!! Good luck, feel free to message any questions whenever.

Firstly, does his VETASSESS give him his OTSR?? matt got his through Future Skills International in the UK and had a pretty tough assessment in London which meant he didnt have to do this once in WA, he has been able to register for a restricted provisional licence on arrival missing out a huge step. He did his white card through Blue Dog Training online - cost about $80 and can be done from the UK so again before arrival. He has just spoken with the local college who run the gap training course for overseas skilled migrants - it is full time, 2 weeks and costs $2800 plus another $700 for data and communication cabling course which he was told you need to gain the licence (he is just enquiring if there is any reduced fees for PR visa holders but it is a lot more than £800). You need to have an employer in order to start the gap training that is willing to support you. We heard this was difficult to find but wasnt our experience, having said that matt is not just an electrician but marine engineer (mechanical too with lots of naval experience) so this may be why. They say the log book needs to be completed in 12 months but it is a minimum of 1000 hours. NOT an easy process getting swapped over!!! Good luck, feel free to message any questions whenever.

Thanks for the reply and the good info! yeah I did the same exam in London which gave me the OTSR, however, I'm am definitely not a Marine engineer :cute: so if he wants an apprentice i'll be happy to help ha! I mainly do industrial like car plants and power stations, definitely looking in to the gas/oil/mines at some point in the future but it seems so hard just to get started there, one hurdle after another but its going to be sooooooooo worth it ha. So if I get on a course and pass after the 2 weeks, do I still need to do the logbook before I receive the license and pay rise?

Thanks for the reply and the good info! yeah I did the same exam in London which gave me the OTSR, however, I'm am definitely not a Marine engineer :cute: so if he wants an apprentice i'll be happy to help ha! I mainly do industrial like car plants and power stations, definitely looking in to the gas/oil/mines at some point in the future but it seems so hard just to get started there, one hurdle after another but its going to be sooooooooo worth it ha. So if I get on a course and pass after the 2 weeks, do I still need to do the logbook before I receive the license and pay rise?

gas and oil - have a look at the oil price and factor in that Australian sites are some of the most expensive to produce in the world.

Mining. 470 laid off last week. 200 yesterday. Rio rumoured to be about to let up to 15% of staff - thousands.

gas and oil - have a look at the oil price and factor in that Australian sites are some of the most expensive to produce in the world.

Mining. 470 laid off last week. 200 yesterday. Rio rumoured to be about to let up to 15% of staff - thousands.

I know what you're saying I'm constantly looking at the updates to see what's happening but like I said it will be sometime in the future as I need about another 2 qualifications to be doing that and be confident. There will always be a need for gas and oil and many companies that do it such as Edi Downer, CBI Kentz, BHP etc. a friends of the family works for the AESgroupso he's looking in to helping me when I'm there. It's just a pain with this license it just seems to be all a massive money making scheme, I had to pay a grand to take a course here which is just a condensed version of what I had to take to qualify here 7 years ago, but like most people I'll just take whatever I can when I'm there to support myself.