UK BABY Car seats???

LoopyLauren

Yes I e wondered about this too, it's are brittax ant maximising and weren't cheap. I think we will sell outs here and buy new there as wee illness them straight away and won't want to wait til container arrives! At least then I'll know the new ones are up to the Aussie standards.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that this kind of thing annoys me about Australia, when you think the UK is one of the most Health and Safety (over the top) conscious countries in the world, they've got a cheek to say that you cant use the car seat that probably cost in the region of £100 because it hasn't got an Australian safety mark. I bet when you're shopping for one in Aus youll find the exact one you've had to chuck away but with an Aus safety sticker on it!!!

I must say that this kind of thing annoys me about Australia, when you think the UK is one of the most Health and Safety (over the top) conscious countries in the world, they've got a cheek to say that you cant use the car seat that probably cost in the region of £100 because it hasn't got an Australian safety mark. I bet when you're shopping for one in Aus youll find the exact one you've had to chuck away but with an Aus safety sticker on it!!!

Having just (last week) qualified as an OSH Rep I'd put a good arguement forward that the UK is behind Australia when it comes to being over the top with Health and Safety.

With regards to baby seats, they have only just started using ISOFIX here. Our car (Hyundai IX35) is a 2011 and it doesn't have ISOFIX in it, they must put them into the cars they ship to Europe as it been law there for a while. Even though they have ISOFIX now, top tether is a requirement still. For those that don't know, top tether is a strap that goes over the top of the seat, down the back and clips into a attachment in the seat. I don't they add anything over and above ISOFIX but it's the law here.

• 1 month later...

Yep Jen, unfortunately it does have to have the sticker. I've never heard of anyone checking but if you were in an accident i'd imagine that's when it would become a problem. Why can't these manufacturers have an international sticker if the seat meets the requirements of participating countries? You'd have thought they'd have done this already with so many families travelling oversees for holidays etc. We always used to throw our car seats into the hold as my philosophy is I'd rather my children be safe travelling from the airport at the other end than sat on my knee or not properly restrained.

Edited by Lou8670

UK standards are higher than Aussie standards so I would be happy to use a car seat that only has an EU/UK Standard, I use my UK motorbike helmets here which only have UK/EU standard stickers, some helmets you can buy here from China & India are not even legal in the UK/UE! But they must be OK as they have an Aussie sticker .............................Not, ........................I think some common sense is needed here

UK standards are higher than Aussie standards so I would be happy to use a car seat that only has an EU/UK Standard, I use my UK motorbike helmets here which only have UK/EU standard stickers, some helmets you can buy here from China & India are not even legal in the UK/UE! But they must be OK as they have an Aussie sticker .............................Not, ........................I think some common sense is needed here

Whilst that may be true, Aussie law says in must be compliant in Australia. If it doesn't have the required tests done then it isn't compliant and it's against the law. Do you think it's acceptable to move to a new country and decide that you are only going to obey the laws that YOU think are worth following and substitute UK law for those that you think are not relative to you?

I personally think that top tether is a pain in the arse and does nothing over and above the seat belt fastening and even less than isofix but we left our UK compliant seat in the UK and we bought a seat that meets AU standards when we got here. Do you think that 100KPH is fast enough on the Freeway or do you drive at 110KPH because that's the limit in the UK?

UK standards are higher than Aussie standards so I would be happy to use a car seat that only has an EU/UK Standard, I use my UK motorbike helmets here which only have UK/EU standard stickers, some helmets you can buy here from China & India are not even legal in the UK/UE! But they must be OK as they have an Aussie sticker .............................Not, ........................I think some common sense is needed here[/QUO

May be safer but hope you dont have an Insurance claim.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest6235

We finally got round to buying a car seat with the 'correct sticker' after 8 months of been here and have had to take it back into toys r us today and ask them to take a look as our daughter wants be out all the time and manages to get her arms out of the straps!! Well the girl had a look at it and said that's as tight as it will go, I asked if they all tighten up the same and she said yes and also that a lot of people have to buy a houdini strap which basically binds the two straps together. Amazing you have to buy something extra for it, also our daughter is nearly two and quite tall for her age but the seat is meant to be for babies 6 month's and upwards!!!. Anyway one of us caved in and we bought this houdini strap, time will tell if this works. Our UK one has straps which you tighten up independently to one another but the ozzie ones work by by pulling a strap at the bottom which pulls tight (ish) the straps around the shoulders. This seat was to go in the car that our daughter mainly goes in and transfer the good UK one into the other car. I know some won't have a problem but our daughter is very determined and can do it relatively easy. A car seat should cover every eventuality.