Live in perth or commute?

pegg

Hi, just pondering and we have always been thinking of living quite close to Perth ( rental prob ) ….. or if had to by might look at munster etc.

However our friends in WA , suggested - why dont we look at mandurah ?? And commute via train ? (im a nurse - hopefully at new childrens hospital eventually).

So just thinking would it be cheaper to buy further out - Mandurah and pay for train ????

Or live closer to Perth and drive ….. or even cycle - WOW !

Just mulling things over guys ……. youre all wonderful and im sure your opinions will be truly fab ;o)

Thanks Guys

Many people do commute from Mandurah. I did for two years. Housing is significantly cheaper and allows a beach life at prices that people could not afford at Perth beaches. However, you would need to consider shift patterns to ensure trains were available.

You then need need to look at if you are happy with the commute time.

The train is very cheap too the only downside is parking at stations here is sometimes difficult unless you get there very early however cycling to the station is easy with lockable bike parks. We built our house in North Mandurah and the exact spec house 46k's further north is now being advertised at well over twice the price so like most countries city living certainly does come at a cost. A train into the city in $11 and you can get that lower with certain multi user options.

I pay an amount what is probably considered cheap compared to somewhere near Perth CBD, for a 4x2 near Armadale. New estate, brand new house, lots of development and new supermarkets & schools being built etc.

But, I set off for work at 930 and it takes around an hour to get North of the River. I wouldn't say traffic is bad at 930 onwards, its the distance that takes the time. Its a toss up between cheaper living and more travel or more expensive living & less travel. I drive so I can't account for the cost & time trains take. I would not find a house anywhere near as cheap, modern or big closer to the Swan. You have to go far North or South. If you dont, you get older, smaller houses etc.

Edited by Anthony

Looking at trans Perth - the journey from Mandurah to the QEII med centre in Nedlands would be about a 73 min journey. You would have to get the 5.30am train in order to arrive in time for a 7am shift.

If a late finishes at 9pm then the first train would be at 9.15 (then every half hour) and take 80mins to Mandurah station.

both of these times will have walking distance from Nedlands to place of work and don't include travel time to/from Mandurah station to home.

I worked shifts when I first arrived and for us location was everything - added to the fact that with 2 primary school children I didn't want to be over an hour away if I had to pick them up from school for any reason (which did happen even in the early days of high school).

Hi just a thought, if you are going to do shift work the commute would be quite challenging the Mandurah train doesn't stop near the children's hospital you would have to get off at a hub like canning bridge and get a bus , or go into Perth centre and get a train back to shenton park then a 10 minute walk not easy for an early shift on a Sunday , or after a night , also the Perth Children's Hospital opening has been delayed until at least third half of this year . I do know some who do it by car though .

Of course another option would be to work in Mandurah. Mandurah has its own hospital and because it is a private hospital but accepts public patients it isn't affected by the recruitment freeze.

Does the Peel campus have paediatrics? I think Pegg is a paediatric nurse

It depends on what kind of lifestyle you want - suburbia, beachside, CBD, grungy, trendy, cafe...

We live a short walk from the beach and don't use it as much as we thought we would and for us, the ability to ride/walk/scooter/skate into work and school with the kids every day is awesome, we wouldn't give that up for anything. We most definitely work to live and our down time is very important so a long commute wouldn't suit us and we're happier paying higher rent to allow this.

For us Freo has everything - beaches, cafe's, grunginess, life, the river (and not many poms), but we pay a premium for it. If we paid the same for a place in Madurah, we'd probably have ocean views and a pool, that's just not a priority for us.

I commute from Mandurah (halls head) to the current children's hospital by train and it takes me an hour and a half, door to door. With a corporate smart rider card it costs around $7.65 each way. The few times I've driven it has taken a similar amount of time and costs around $17 a day for parking (if you can find some!) so the train is heaps cheaper and easier. I only work 3 days a week (no shift work) and to be honest, I'm not sure how long I could keep it up if it was 5 days a week, the long days don't suit me... The 50 minutes or so on the train is good for down time before getting home, I've re-discovered being able to read without being interupted by little people which is nice. We have family down here which is why we chose Mandurah but I'm so glad we did, it's a beautiful place to live and it still feels like we're living in a holiday house!

I could be wrong but I think Fiona Stanley also has a paediatric ward if that's what you're looking for, it is closer to commute to from Mandurah and is right on the train line.

Does the Peel campus have paediatrics? I think Pegg is a paediatric nurse

Thanks guys ,

yep Paediatric nurse in cardiology ….. So im sure there wont be any private clinics - but if you know of any please please let me know ;o)

I supose really i need to get get job sorted first ….. but im just thinking as i have been offered bank nursing once have visa….. until jobs available i will have to make a decision .

We really would prefure very short comute - and cycle to work - wow !

But we will see …..

…… thanks for replies guys

I travel from secret harbour to perth airport every day for work, so a total of 900km's per 6 days on shift. Roads are ok at time I use them, except at 2pm coming home and 12.30pm going to work...it gets a tad busy at certain points but you just learn diversions or stock up on water and sweets to kill the time whilst waiting for locals to learn how to merge...

I travel from secret harbour to perth airport every day for work, so a total of 900km's per 6 days on shift. Roads are ok at time I use them, except at 2pm coming home and 12.30pm going to work...it gets a tad busy at certain points but you just learn diversions or stock up on water and sweets to kill the time whilst waiting for locals to learn how to merge...

Oh my goodness what a horrid trip to do every day! I do the airport run once or twice a month and it's bad enough, why did you chose Secret Harbour when you work there?

Just don't get me started on the merge thing! I feel like shouting out the window every time "It's like a zip guys"! This whole mentality of "I am going to be first even if I kill myself" is seriously beginning to annoy me.

Oh my goodness what a horrid trip to do every day! I do the airport run once or twice a month and it's bad enough, why did you chose Secret Harbour when you work there?

Because I had family here and it helped with child care, if I had my time again id go somewhere different..horrid place.

Because I had family here and it helped with child care, if I had my time again id go somewhere different..horrid place.

Yes I have heard that comment so often about Secret Harbour. Guess it just goes to show how different we all are as some people like it. I have been a few times to visit friends, but new suburbs are not my thing so it didn't do much for me. Hindsight too is a wonderful thing eh?