would you book flights now?

pegg

Ok guys no going back is our motto !….. So everything is done just waiting on visa … submitted early december i think ?

So were thinking of making some plans …. We are tempted to book flights for middle of may/june - But could anything go wrong with visa now … surly not ???

So have any of you booked flights before visa is given ?

Plan was to fly out - get picked up by pals in bunbury - hang there for a couple of weeks - then have 4 weeks in holiday let - scabs we reckon - as we have a big 40 in July so would be nice to spend close to the sea !

All too much for us , so excited ( as for the 40th - yep youre all invited )

Anyhow , back to the question - Would you book flights before visa is finalised …….. Come on guys - like the Dr.Pepper Ad "whats the worst that could happen"

Thankyou ;o)

Hi Pegg. I was reading a thread on POI he other day and someone had booked the flights before having the visa, the visa came through 2nd Nov and they flew 8th Nov- very close and very stressful for them I believe.

I guess if you find out the cost of moving the flight when you book it, if reasonable then there's not too much lost if you do have to change it. I've been very tempted to book flights myself as I've seen some really good deals,we are likely flying in May too. Although in theory there shouldn't be any issues with the visa I've read of people waiting 6+ months for theirs for no good reason whatsoever and there is still that small chance we will get refused for some reason,I just can't bring myself to believe we will get a visa until I see it in black and white...

looking forward to to the party ;) - enjoy!

Despite what many people say, there is no real advantage to booking flights early. Best way I find is to monitor them for a few months, and when they are cheap, (which I suspect is when a new flight is scheduled), book.

Very true …. i think we are just being alittle over excited, however whenever we look at flights they dont seem cheaper late booking ? but we will see ;o)

Hi Pegg. I was reading a thread on POI he other day and someone had booked the flights before having the visa, the visa came through 2nd Nov and they flew 8th Nov- very close and very stressful for them I believe.

I guess if you find out the cost of moving the flight when you book it, if reasonable then there's not too much lost if you do have to change it. I've been very tempted to book flights myself as I've seen some really good deals,we are likely flying in May too. Although in theory there shouldn't be any issues with the visa I've read of people waiting 6+ months for theirs for no good reason whatsoever and there is still that small chance we will get refused for some reason,I just can't bring myself to believe we will get a visa until I see it in black and white...

looking forward to to the party ;) - enjoy!

Yes, we are holding on to ordering the move cube until visa is a cert - so yep may give it a couple more weeks ;o)

Despite what many people say, there is no real advantage to booking flights early. Best way I find is to monitor them for a few months, and when they are cheap, (which I suspect is when a new flight is scheduled), book.

That is incorrect. i have flown a "bit" over the last few years - according to Emirates there were less than 200 people globally who flew more miles than me in 2013.

When a flight enters it schedule - 12 months from departure. Every seat is allocated a price category. Then, as each cat sells out, it only leaves the ones above. It does vary on booking type such as saver or saver plus. But, the principe is that further away, the better chance of a cheaper flight.

We are in similar situation.... Want to book flights but not sold our house yet that is funding our trip!!... Fingers crossed you hear soon... We submitted in December and visa were granted 2 weeks ago!!

Wow that was quick ! did you get email to confirm visa being granted or it just show on immi account ?

That is incorrect. i have flown a "bit" over the last few years - according to Emirates there were less than 200 people globally who flew more miles than me in 2013.

When a flight enters it schedule - 12 months from departure. Every seat is allocated a price category. Then, as each cat sells out, it only leaves the ones above. It does vary on booking type such as saver or saver plus. But, the principe is that further away, the better chance of a cheaper flight.

I haven't found this in practice. I would be interested if there are any studies or research.

This makes interesting reading

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jan/22/how-and-when-to-book-a-cheap-flight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10436849/Why-flights-are-cheaper-at-the-last-minute.html

Edited by newjez

Well Pegg if it was me, I wouldn't book anything until the visa was granted. But then I always have to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s as I couldn't handle the added stress if the visa grant still hadn't happened and the flight date was only weeks away!

I think youre right Rossmoyne , perhaps were a littloe eager ;o)

I think youre right Rossmoyne , perhaps were a littloe eager ;o)

Well that is understandable.... it's such a major change in your life to emigrate... I just think the stress of wondering if the visa would come through before time for the flights, would be unbearable. When it was us, I didn't even put the house on the market until the visa was granted, and I never booked flights until the house sold. But I don't handle stress well and like everything cut and dried before I move onto the next stage. However I do realise that others are not as OCD as me about these things! Hopefully you won't be waiting for much longer.

Well that is understandable.... it's such a major change in your life to emigrate... I just think the stress of wondering if the visa would come through before time for the flights, would be unbearable. When it was us, I didn't even put the house on the market until the visa was granted, and I never booked flights until the house sold. But I don't handle stress well and like everything cut and dried before I move onto the next stage. However I do realise that others are not as OCD as me about these things! Hopefully you won't be waiting for much longer.

We really didn't do anything either until we got the letter confirming the visa - just in case we didn't get it.