Ladies Thread..

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bathing Suit (by a middle-age unknown woman.)

When I was a child in the 1950s, the bathing suit for the mature figure was-boned, trussed and reinforced, not so much sewn as engineered. They were built to hold back and uplift, and they did a good job.

Today's stretch fabrics are designed for the prepubescent girl with a figure carved from a potato chip.

The mature woman has a choice, she can either go up front to the maternity department and try on a floral suit with a skirt, coming away

looking like a hippopotamus that escaped from Disney's Fantasia, or she can wander around every run-of-the-mill department store trying to make a sensible choice from what amounts to a designer range of fluorescent

rubber bands.

What choice did I have? I wandered around, made my sensible choice andentered the chamber of horrors known as the fitting room. The first thing I noticed was the extraordinary tensile strength of the stretch

material. The Lycra used in bathing costumes was developed, I believe,by NASA to launch small rockets from a slingshot, which gives the added

bonus that if you manage to actually lever yourself into one, you would be protected from shark attacks. Any shark taking a swipe at your

passing midriff would immediately suffer whiplash.

I fought my way into the bathing suit, but as I twanged the shoulderstrap in place I gasped in horror, my boobs had disappeared!

Eventually, I found one boob cowering under my left armpit. It took awhile to find the other. At last I located it flattened beside my seventh rib.

The problem is that modern bathing suits have no bra cups. The mature woman is meant to wear her boobs spread across her chest like a speedbump. I realigned my speed bump and lurched toward the mirror to take a

full view assessment.

The bathing suit fitted all right, but unfortunately it only fit those bits of me willing to stay inside it. The rest of me oozed out rebelliously from top, bottom and sides. I looked like a lump of Playdoh wearing undersized cling wrap.

As I tried to work out where all those extra bits had come from, the prepubescent sales girl popped her head through the curtain, "Oh, there you are," she said, admiring the bathing suit.

I replied that I wasn't so sure and asked what else she had to show me. I tried on a cream crinkled one that made me look like a lump of masking tape, and a floral two-piece that gave the appearance of an

oversized napkin in a serving ring.

I struggled into a pair of leopard-skin bathers with ragged frills and came out looking like Tarzan's Jane, pregnant with triplets and having a rough day.

I tried on a black number with a midriff and looked like a jellyfish in mourning.

I tried on a bright pink pair with such a high cut leg I thought Iwould have to wax my eyebrows to wear them.

Finally, I found a suit that fit, it was a two-piece affair with a shorts-style bottom and a loose blouse-type top. It was cheap,comfortable, and bulge-friendly, so I bought it. My ridiculous search had a successful outcome, I figured.

When I got it home, I found a label that read, "Material might become transparent in water."

So, if you happen to be on the beach or near any other body of water this year and I'm there too, I'll be the one in cut-off jeans and a T-shirt!

You'd better be laughing or rolling on the floor by this time. Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain..................

with or without a bathing suit!

If you live in or around Rockingham area, there is a company, woman who works from home, who design swimwear, for the individual. I think the name is Daneesh

or something like that..if that helps, or look at undercoverwear dot com dot au sold online and at home shopping parties. The consultant may have a sample in your size, they carry most sizes. If that helps???

With thoughts running through my head about friendships with women, and those who need a *Thought for the day* I rummaged through three boxes last night to find my *Friendship calender* which I got a few years ago.

May 31st

Girlfriends offer the wonderful gift of perspective....

the picture on that page, is of a kitchen counter, with some lemons in a wire basket, some poetry books, and a pile of alternate reading, including one whose cover I can read, *Lady Chatterley`s Lover*:biglaugh:, a vase containing some ranunculiis,(flowers sort of daisies) and an empty tea cup and saucer..... to complete the picture. can you imagine that!:cute:

Guest guest1228
Well .. im off to margeret river at the weekend .. very excited ..:jiggy::jiggy: were all going on a winter holiday ..la..la.la.laaaa

Where are you staying Sharon and how long for?

Guest guest1228

The forecast is good, wish I was going again, its so fresh and beautiful down there. Have you been to Gracetown? Its a stunning beach. The bootleg brewery is worth a visit, and candy cow in Cowaramup is my daughters fave shop!

Guest guest1228

You will like it I'm sure, quite different from Perth and I think Autumn is a lovely time to go...take some warm clothes if its grey and at night it can be chilly, a good 5d cooler than Perth. Its all foresty (is that a word)and lovely...don't try to see too much in your 1st trip, areas around Margaret River which i think are worth a look are Prevelly and Gnarabup beaches, Gracetown, Cowaramup...nothing there but a few shops Candy Cow being one of them! Yallingup and Bunker Bay a bit further up...beautiful scenery....the caves though we havent made them yet! Not to mention the wineries and even if you dont make them the bottle shops all have good local wines.

Guest guest1228

Good evening ladies. Its the start of my weekend, the second to last one before my family return to England. Don't feel like Ive seen enough of them/done enough with them....its a birthday celebration weekend though as its my daughters on mon, mine the following Thurs and we're also celebrating my Nans 80th as she wont be here in August to celebrate with us. Have a good one whatever you're doing xx

Good evening ladies. Its the start of my weekend, the second to last one before my family return to England. Don't feel like Ive seen enough of them/done enough with them....its a birthday celebration weekend though as its my daughters on mon, mine the following Thurs and we're also celebrating my Nans 80th as she wont be here in August to celebrate with us. Have a good one whatever you're doing xx

Hi fiona:biggrin:..have a great weekend with your family and enjoy your birthdays..nice times ahead! I've just been on half term, so lots of quality time with my little lad and the sun is shining big time:jiggy:..back to work next week for a long stint, so i'm gonna make the most of this weekend..take care x

Guest Harrison Clan

Hi ladies,

I've not been on here for a bit. We have had an awful week where it looked like our Oz dream was well and truly over but thankfully miracles do happen once in a while and we lodged our SS application yesterday :jiggy: Just got to wait now and hope we hear from them before the end of the month so we can get our visa app in.

I feel like a nervous wreck at the moment :wacko:

Anyway, hope you've all had a good week. The weather here has been glorious today and I've been sat in the garden tonight with my book and a wee glass of vino :smile:

Why is it when your going away you get a blerdy stinky cold .. and its cold brrrrr oh well im hoping scenery and a chocolate factory will do me right :wink:

ooooohh enjoy the choc factory..sounds like heaven to me!:biggrin:..colds are a pain, aren't they? My son was due to have a hernia op, before he carries on with his marine training and went down with one..ofcourse no op and a two month wait again..not happy!!..enjoy your break away...

Hi ladies,

I've not been on here for a bit. We have had an awful week where it looked like our Oz dream was well and truly over but thankfully miracles do happen once in a while and we lodged our SS application yesterday :jiggy: Just got to wait now and hope we hear from them before the end of the month so we can get our visa app in.

I feel like a nervous wreck at the moment :wacko:

Anyway, hope you've all had a good week. The weather here has been glorious today and I've been sat in the garden tonight with my book and a wee glass of vino :smile:

Sorry to hear you've had a stressful time, but good to hear your back on track now:smile:..hope it all goes to plan for your visa app..weather glorious here today and supping some pear cider!..take care x

with the onset of the cold weather, I suppose some of our new citizens, have brought the cold with them???:wubclub:You could have left it there for a few more weeks,,,,,,

but then you are used to the cold better than us, we have spent the last 5 months trying to get cool.....now of course the heater will die trying to warm us.

This weekend is when we celebrate the Founding of WA, hope some of you have been out to Woodbridge an historical home near Midland. We do have a few of them still standing and being looked after by the national Trust.

Our Government House also is open on some weekends like this one, so people can look at our past, and see what Your old country has donated to ours, for the benefit of *The Royals* when they visit. I only just managed to view it a couple of years ago...:jiggy:There were displays of old cars like Jaguars, and The Morris Dancers, put on a show. Highland pipe band also did some music and

traditional highland dancing...Our local government societies, put forward names of people who have volunteered their services to the advancement of this state, so there are awards and speeches etc.

cheers

Guest guest1228

Well its my 3rd birthday in Perth ladies...a quiet one today as I was working but will make up for it this weekend. Say goodbye to the family on Sunday too so have to make this weekend a good un! Hope you are all well xx

Guest LaneyOOO

Happy Birthday to you the lovely Fiona, have a great weekend and enjoy the last few days with your family, maybe we can start to organise a meet up for the girls!!! xxxxx

Elaine xx:jiggy: