457 Visa - Defacto Assistance Required

kylel39

Hello everyone,

I realise this topic has been covered many times before but I was looking for a more definitive answer if anyone could help.

My partner and I are over here on 417 Working Holiday Visa's, she's a nurse working for a large private hospital and will likely be offered sponsorship shortly. I've been offered sponsorship with my current employer (on the list etc etc) but don't intend staying with the company due to a variety of reasons. Anyway I was thinking of going defacto on her 457 visa when it is proposed as it would save a lot of hassle and also allow me to look for a new job without the restrictions that a WHV brings.

I'm under the impression that as a defacto on a 457 visa it's not a requirement to have been living together for over 6 months - although it certainly helps. But the main priority is to demonstrate a relationship has existed for over 6 months? My partner and I have been together for over 7 years but have only moved in together since arriving in Oz so just over 3 months really. We've got a joint bank account over here, both names on lease, bills etc. We would be able to provide countless amount of evidence in terms of statements from parents, friends, friends with PR Visa, holiday photos, flights etc.

My understanding is that if we can demonstrate that a relationship (over 6 months) exists then there shouldn't be an issue. Something which I think we wouldn't have a problem doing. If someone could confirm this is correct then that would be great.

Another option we do have would be to live together for 6 months in our current rental then add myself as a Defacto at a later date. Although I don't think this would be ideal as the company would likely be using an agent and would prefer to do everything in one go.

Any help would be appreciated,

Kyle