Jump to content

SEN Primary teacher looking to relocate with young family


Recommended Posts


Just joined the group and looking forward to sharing and finding out some tips for moving to Perth. 

We are currently right at the start of the process to move to Perth. I am a qualified Sen Teacher with 5 years experience, however i only possess a QTS qualifaction, which I know is not transferable. My teacher traning was done through the schools direct route (New GTP). I am looking to top this upto a PGCE however through the University of Northampton. Has anybody had any experience of this of knowledge whether this is accepted? 


The course will finish next June, so we are then quite keen to move. Is this an achievable goal? Thinking of gaining a working visa initially, and then transfer it to a permanent Visa. 


This is something we have debated for a few years however never felt it was the right time. So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Would you advise using an agent to support the process? I have two young boys (3,1) so need to make sure we get it right. 


HUGE thanks in advance for any help given!!! It reallynis appreciated!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, do you have 4 years of university education? That is a mandatory requirement to pass the skills assessment. 

Special education teacher is on the long term skilled list for a 189 visa, but, it would need you to have very high points. About 95 to ever get an invite. 

States can also sponsor visas such as a 190, but WA isn’t sponsoring this occupation. 

I highly recommend using an agent. Camilla from 
http://www.newlifedownunder.com.au/index.php?id=1 is excellent 


I would strongly recommend against a working visa, if you mean a employer sponsored visa. These are very hard to get these days and even if possible come with a number of significant issues that make them unsuitable for families 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello! And huge thank you for your reply! 

I have a 3year bachelor degree, and then the top up PGCE would make the fourth year. Ive read a few posts on TES website and the university has suggested some  students have had some success of being able to teach in Australia with this qualification, but cannot say officially. So was hoping this would be the right option? 

Oh right ok, how come the points are so high. Will have to have a look. 


Thank you for suggestion I have emailed her 🙂Was you able to gain visas through her? 


Huge thanks for reply, really appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope. You will need to pass a skills assessment in order to get a visa and that skills assessment will require four years of university study. 

The points are high because of a number of factors including a significant reduction in numbers of places per visa available. 

If Camilla doesn’t respond as I have just heard she is very busy, try Go Matilda. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...