How many of you are now Australian?

jamesw

Me and I shock everyone when I say that if the Aussies were playing the UK at any sport I would want the Aussies to win.

Interesting that you say that, because in cricket, I will always want England to beat Australia. However, my 14 year old is always on the Aussie side of things. When it comes to this years world cup, I never really had much time for the England national side, so will be hoping the socceroo's do a lot better than England

I guess that would mean that l can't exist... l was born in Rhodesia but that turned to Zimbabwe and Mugabe said l couldn't be Zimbabwean cuz my parents were british...and they wouldn't give up being british....my son was born in uk but was not entitled to being recognised as british as l was born in Rhodesia (which doesn't exist) and he had to take my nationality as l was not married to his dad at the time... (by the way they now changed that so children can be recognised thru their father... changed two years after l went thru hell..) So l got british citizenship but then l guess its only a piece of paper.... lm now recognised on paper as Australian which is not bad seeing as l don't exist.... Please do not say that this is just a piece of paper.............. sometimes it can give someone identity when they have lost theirs through no fault of their own... l am now a proud Aussie

I know this will offend but it really gets me going some what. A certificate of paper after a test and a ceremony does not make you Australian if you were not born here. It gives you the right to hold an Australian passport, to vote and get a pension etc etc. Sorry

I guess that would mean that l can't exist... l was born in Rhodesia but that turned to Zimbabwe and Mugabe said l couldn't be Zimbabwean cuz my parents were british...and they wouldn't give up being british....my son was born in uk but was not entitled to being recognised as british as l was born in Rhodesia (which doesn't exist) and he had to take my nationality as l was not married to his dad at the time... (by the way they now changed that so children can be recognised thru their father... changed two years after l went thru hell..) So l got british citizenship but then l guess its only a piece of paper.... lm now recognised on paper as Australian which is not bad seeing as l don't exist.... Please do not say that this is just a piece of paper.............. sometimes it can give someone identity when they have lost theirs through no fault of their own... l am now a proud Aussie

Wow what a story RNI - I can see why being recognised is so important. I agree that for us it is more than a bit of paper, we have been citizens since 2009 - we only hold one passport and that is Australian, in it, it gives the town I was born (not the country) and says I am Australian. I feel that I belong here, and my children certainly feel and identify with being Australian rather than English.

Fantastic story. You describe a situation that many of us simply can't relate to, a sense of belonging and security we perhaps take for granted. Thank you for sharing, it was a short but fascinating read.

Wow what a story RNI - I can see why being recognised is so important. I agree that for us it is more than a bit of paper, we have been citizens since 2009 - we only hold one passport and that is Australian, in it, it gives the town I was born (not the country) and says I am Australian. I feel that I belong here, and my children certainly feel and identify with being Australian rather than English.

I'm glad you said this, I belong here also.

I've lived in many different places but my heart belongs to Australia. We're so insignificant, this universe is unimaginably vast and we're here for such a brief period, how do we imagine that any of us hold ownership over any of this?

Personally I feel citizenship, the need I have for that piece of paper, just reinforces what my heart already understands. Obtaining it, committing to everything it represents is another chapter in my very personal journey and therein lies something of a contradiction. If we're so insignificant, why does it matter so much?

I too was born in Zimbabwe and got British citizenship from my dad. I have never had a Zim passport as when we moved to the UK I was 6 and was on my mums passport. I have few memories of Zim and feel I have been British all my life even though I wasn't born here.

QUOTE=realitynotincluded;90905]I guess that would mean that l can't exist... l was born in Rhodesia but that turned to Zimbabwe and Mugabe said l couldn't be Zimbabwean cuz my parents were british...and they wouldn't give up being british....my son was born in uk but was not entitled to being recognised as british as l was born in Rhodesia (which doesn't exist) and he had to take my nationality as l was not married to his dad at the time... (by the way they now changed that so children can be recognised thru their father... changed two years after l went thru hell..) So l got british citizenship but then l guess its only a piece of paper.... lm now recognised on paper as Australian which is not bad seeing as l don't exist.... Please do not say that this is just a piece of paper.............. sometimes it can give someone identity when they have lost theirs through no fault of their own... l am now a proud Aussie

Fantastic story. You describe a situation that many of us simply can't relate to, a sense of belonging and security we perhaps take for granted. Thank you for sharing, it was a short but fascinating read.

I'm glad you said this, I belong here also.

I've lived in many different places but my heart belongs to Australia. We're so insignificant, this universe is unimaginably vast and we're here for such a brief period, how do we imagine that any of us hold ownership over any of this?

Personally I feel citizenship, the need I have for that piece of paper, just reinforces what my heart already understands. Obtaining it, committing to everything it represents is another chapter in my very personal journey and therein lies something of a contradiction. If we're so insignificant, why does it matter so much?

Before we took out citizenship I remember commenting to a friend that living here was like finding a part of myself that I hadn't known was missing. I've felt very content here - don't get me wrong it's not a perfect place and the things that life throws at you have still occurred - but I feel content within myself.

Guest guest9824

I am an australian citizen, but I don't think that makes me australian. To be born somewhere offers you the right to be Australian (in this instance) , I am british born therefore I am British. That's the way I see it, I see being an Aussie citizen as something I chose to be, undertaking to live by the constitution of this country, but I also feel my loyalties will also always lie with the Uk, as a british born citizen. :)..just how I feel about it!

I had this conversation with my hubby the other night and asked if he had to give up his British citizenship to stay here would he, he said yes, I was not sure what I would do :(... If I can use the 'comfy knicker' analogy (bear with me...pardon the pun) I feel like the uk is my old grey (once white) rather belly hugging pair of old faithful knickers you wear when you feel like lushing about eating chocolate and crying at the silliest things, then theres the new whiter than white lacy risky pair of knickers that you love to wear and feel young again,carefree, live life on the edge knickers,these are my Aussie ones....I love wearing both, and wouldn't chuck either out no matter how worn they get....that's how I feel about the whole citizenship thing...:rolleyes:

pea

I am an australian citizen, but I don't think that makes me australian. To be born somewhere offers you the right to be Australian (in this instance) , I am british born therefore I am British. That's the way I see it, I see being an Aussie citizen as something I chose to be, undertaking to live by the constitution of this country, but I also feel my loyalties will also always lie with the Uk, as a british born citizen. :)..just how I feel about it!

I had this conversation with my hubby the other night and asked if he had to give up his British citizenship to stay here would he, he said yes, I was not sure what I would do :(... If I can use the 'comfy knicker' analogy (bear with me...pardon the pun) I feel like the uk is my old grey (once white) rather belly hugging pair of old faithful knickers you wear when you feel like lushing about eating chocolate and crying at the silliest things, then theres the new whiter than white lacy risky pair of knickers that you love to wear and feel young again,carefree, live life on the edge knickers,these are my Aussie ones....I love wearing both, and wouldn't chuck either out no matter how worn they get....that's how I feel about the whole citizenship thing...:rolleyes:

pea

Dearest Pea from now on you shall be known as Bridget Jones lolol xxxx:laugh:

Pea. As a bloke even I can agree. I have my "crash on the couch and watch a movie" thing and then the "my wife deserves me to make an effort" look. And of course everything in between.

I am Australian and proud. I am British and proud. Heck, I am even from Middlesbrough and proud (which is a possible insanity) but they don't contradict each other.

• 2 months later...

Is the test hard? I was told today that a friend of a friend had to revise for it and found it hard. Had to know lots of key historical dates, etc. said it wasn't like the push over one the UK has. Is this true? I thought I heard it on here that is was easy, now I am questioning which one is correct.

If you're an oz citizen can you still come and go from the UK if you want, I'm guessing you'll have dual citizenship?

Yes you can come and go as you please - no need to apply for Resident return visa's and you keep your UK citizenship

You do have to learn some dates and reading the book they give you is a good way to revise. The questions are multi-choice. If you didn't revise/read the book then you'd struggle to answer the questions like who was the first prime minister or date of Federation etc.

Yes you can come and go as you please - no need to apply for Resident return visa's and you keep your UK citizenship

Ali, that is something I hadn't thought of, do you return to UK on British passport? or travel on Australian passport? I'm guessing that you can only travel on one passport during one journey?

I revised the book a lot before I sat my citizenship test but I found it really interesting! And then I found the test very easy, did it in about 10 minutes :-)

If I remember correctly (I did it quite a few years ago now) you can do it as many times as you need to. And I don't think there's any cost, it's all part of your citizenship fee. If you check the citizenship details online it will tell you in case it has changed since I did it. They send you a pack (free, when I did it) which includes the book that includes all the info you need to learn. Like Ali said, dates, State flowers, etc it's quite interesting stuff to learn, not hard