Secret Harbour

MrsM

Bit of a random thread - but can anyone shed some light on Secret Harbour?

I'm so obsessed with the place - LOVE the houses down there as they are within our projected price range and they are gorgeous!!

But what about schools? What are they really like? The people and community down there - whats that like?

I've asked my MIL to send me pictures of the beaches etc (she stays in Perth City) and she's going to see what she can find out, but is there anyone on here that lives there?

I'd appreciate any insider knowledge :)

Thanks

L

Secret Harbour is just one of very many newish housing estates along the coast from Rockingham down to Mandurah. Housing is very similar, as are prices. It has proved to be quite popular with Brits (a bit like Brighton/Joondalup area in the northern beach suburbs), but I don't consider that a negative. Don't just get hooked by the look of the houses though as the feel of the suburb is as important as anything else. I have good friends who live in Port Kennedy, Warnbro, Waikiki - all suburbs in that stretch of coast, and all enjoy where they live, the close proximity to the beach and the good train line service up to the city. But they all say that there are streets within their suburbs that they would not live on. I guess it all comes back to the fact that you can research as much as you like on the internet, but you actually have to live in and "feel" the suburb/area to know if it is for you. Perhaps consider renting for a while before you buy.

As far as schools are concerned, once again you can research through the Dept of Education's website http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/home.do or through My School http://www.myschool.edu.au/. Just bear in mind that figures and stats are just that and a school has to fit your child/children, and you will only know that for sure if you visit the school and look around and talk at depth with the Principal. One thing also to bear in mind that if you are looking at the state school system, if you live within the catchment area of that school, they have to take your children as students. But if you choose a state school and do not live within their catchment area, they do not have to accept your children as students unless they have room and choose to do so. Private schools of course are a totally separate issue and if you wish to go that route, http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/ is the website to find schools in the area you are wishing to live.

Housing price wise, WA house prices rarely stay the same and are increasing all the time, so do not expect to come here in 12 months time and find the houses you like are the same price as they are today.

Sorry if any of this is a bit negative for you, but just telling it as it is. We have lived here since 1991 and have seen some massive changes in economy, size of Perth and suburbs, lifestyle, just about everything really. It is a wonderful place to live, but it is constantly evolving in every way. Just hope my comments can be helpful.

Edited by Rossmoyne
Sausage fingers caused a spelling mistake!!!

I used to live in Secret Harbour I moved away 2 years ago . The only problem with Secret Harbour is that it's kind of a victim of its on success I that it's so popular it's actually quite expensive for what it is. Two very good Primary Schools and one adequate High School. Rentals can be difficult to get due to its popularity. A huge number of Poms live there. Two good Facebook groups will give you a good idea. Look up Secret Harbour on Facebook. The pubs a good one The Whistling Kite. Many of my friends still live there and I work there sometimes too. Lots of parks and a gorgeous surf beach. The foreshore is awaiting refurbishment so does looks bit tatty but it's due to have some money spent on it.

Edited by Give me a break!

Hi MrsM...I have lived in Secret Harbour since our arrival in 2009, except we moved a couple of suburbs down for 18 months while we saved to buy. We moved back in December just gone and sooo happy to be back. My kids go to Comet Bay Primary and we love it there..that said Secret Harbour Primary is great too. Depending on where you live denotes which school you attend and honestly either one is good. I love the community feel here in Secrets and how we all come together to help others..... We have a great little shopping centre..food/butchers/bakers/newsagents/chemist/florist/donut king/bottle shop/surf shop/fish and chips/pizza/nail bar and pool shop. There are a few facebook pages for Secret Harbour (I admin the Real one ;) ) We have book clubs, running clubs, lots of mums meet up for cinema and theatre trips....honestly lots to get you out and about or just stay at home. Property is premium here and you do get more for your money in other local suburbs, but I have to say I was glad to be back. Any questions feel free to message me. Sue

SusieQ, good to know you love secret harbour. Sounds like a great place.

One thing that did concern me though as I searched on info about the place, were concerns about the quality of the high schools. They looked at year 12 results (both academic and vocational courses) and said they were poor. Someone also mentioned driving past the schools and being concerned by what they saw. ????

Having never been been there I can't comment. What do you make of it all? Would love to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

All the best,

akasully

Give me a break, if you don't mind me being nosey was there any particular reason why you moved from there?

The rockingham area is where we are looking to relocate, more so as it has areas close where my husband can work. But I'm sure he can get used to travelling if we choose somewhere else.

Give me a break, if you don't mind me being nosey was there any particular reason why you moved from there?

The rockingham area is where we are looking to relocate, more so as it has areas close where my husband can work. But I'm sure he can get used to travelling if we choose somewhere else.

I don't mind answering at all. It was down to cost. I was happy to stay in SH but 10 minutes down the road houses are about $150,000 cheaper. After weighing it up with my OH we decided that a new up and coming area was financially a better prospect than an established area. There us nothing wrong with SH in my book EXCEPT the very high percentage of Brits which isn't always a good thing.:wink. Also our son was reaching high school age and we wanted him to go to private school. We would not ever have sent him to Comet Bay High School under any circumstances .Having a cheaper house in a newer suburb has meant our mortgage is cheaper therefore we can use the difference in mortgage payments to send our son to a really good school.

I see you're living in mandurah, we were there last year and really liked the place but read that's where people go to retire so that put us off! We have a two year old and one on the way so want to move somewhere that has good nurseries/schools.

I also read online that people can be rude to British people due to British teenagers being the cause of a lot of crime?! Is there any truth to this?!

I see you're living in mandurah, we were there last year and really liked the place but read that's where people go to retire so that put us off! We have a two year old and one on the way so want to move somewhere that has good nurseries/schools.

I also read online that people can be rude to British people due to British teenagers being the cause of a lot of crime?! Is there any truth to this?!

I can honestly say that we have not experienced anyone being rude to any of us. Mandurah is a big sprawling place with many suburbs. We are as far north as Mandurah gets. Lots of family friendly suburbs everywhere to be honest. Lots of retired people everywhere too tbh unless you live more in the CBD.Don't make any decisions on suburbs until you get here I'd say.