Hi

We hope to be moving to Perth mid 2016 from the UK and have been looking at areas to start off. We are a family of 4... Becoming 5 in a few months time and are looking for a family friendly area that is also close to work for my husband who is a carpenter.

We have looked into Wanneroo a lot and like what we see on google street view but would like to know if anyone has any views on this area... Housing, Parks, schools work etc...

Naturally we would also be interested in surrounding areas too ��

any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Cara

Edited by Cara
Spelling mistake

Hi

We hope to be moving to Perth mid 2016 from the UK and have been looking at areas to start off. We are a family of 4... Becoming 5 in a few months time and are looking for a family friendly area that is also close to work for my husband who is a carpenter.

We have looked into Wanneroo a lot and like what we see on google street view but would like to know if anyone has any views on this area... Housing, Parks, schools work etc...

Naturally we would also be interested in surrounding areas too ��

any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Cara

You would be better off looking at a suburb of Joondalup, I will say no more.................

I know people who live there and are very happy. I know people who live in all suburbs mentioned in this thread and are very happy. Most people who make negative comments about an area don't even live there. Keep an open mind when you get here and have a good look around.

I know people who live there and are very happy. I know people who live in all suburbs mentioned in this thread and are very happy. Most people who make negative comments about an area don't even live there. Keep an open mind when you get here and have a good look around.

Have & still do live in the areas mentioned, so posting from personal experience! Including 6 1/2 happy years in Clarkson! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Have & still do live in the areas mentioned, so posting from personal experience! Including 6 1/2 happy years in Clarkson! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Indeed and I know many that think Clarkson is a dump so it's all subjective hence me telling the OP to keep an open mind.

Im living in Clarkson, up by the station, wot a dump :censored:

All I was pointing out is that it's clearly subjective. You like Clarkson, many don't. You don't like Kinross, many do. The OP should keep an open mind until they visit all areas.

Wow, so many different opinions, thank you.

We have looked into Joondalup and also Clarkson... we are definitely open to options...

My husband is willing to travel for work... and as a carpenter I am assuming it will be the same as here in the UK, that jobs will be a different locations... so we are just looking for a starting block... somewhere to rent until we have found our feet and know where most the work is then we will look to buy.

So I am guessing Wanneroo is not the best place to start off in...

Thanks for all your comments!

Cara

Wow, so many different opinions, thank you.

We have looked into Joondalup and also Clarkson... we are definitely open to options...

My husband is willing to travel for work... and as a carpenter I am assuming it will be the same as here in the UK, that jobs will be a different locations... so we are just looking for a starting block... somewhere to rent until we have found our feet and know where most the work is then we will look to buy.

So I am guessing Wanneroo is not the best place to start off in...

Thanks for all your comments!

Cara

It gets a little confusing because there are suburbs called Joondalup and Wanneroo and they are also the local council areas which encompass many suburbs. City of Wanneroo has many suburbs as does the City of Joondalup. All have their pluses and minuses.

Thanks Arwen, this is what I am trying to figure out... we don't really know the plus and minus of the areas - on the review sites some people love an area and others say there are hooligans drving fast and causing havoc.. its so hard but we have small children that will be of school age when we arrive so we want to seek out a good location to start with, no go into what some people have referred to as 'the bronx' - that's for everyones posts. Will keep looking.:err:

Thanks Arwen, this is what I am trying to figure out... we don't really know the plus and minus of the areas - on the review sites some people love an area and others say there are hooligans drving fast and causing havoc.. its so hard but we have small children that will be of school age when we arrive so we want to seek out a good location to start with, no go into what some people have referred to as 'the bronx' - that's for everyones posts. Will keep looking.:err:

I live in what is considered a nice suburb. We even get hoons here. Sadly some things happen in all suburbs. There aren't many suburbs I just wouldn't live in but these are the ones I wouldn't. Banksia Grove, Balga, Marangaroo, Koondoola, Mirrabooka. All other suburbs are OK, nowhere is perfect. You have to ask yourself what you want. When we moved here I didn't want to be any further north than Burns Beach Road. Not because they are bad areas but because I didn't want to have to drive a fair distance to the things that interested me. Facilities further north than that have picked up now with better shopping and transport links. If you like new estates then look at Carramar, Tapping, Butler, Somerley, Jindalee. If you like more established suburbs look at Kinross, Currambine, Connolly, Ocean Reef. Good locations, good schools both public and private. If you like larger blocks with land then parts of Wanneroo are OK but the suburb of Wanneroo does have it's fair share of anti social behaviour. Good luck.

I live in what is considered a nice suburb. We even get hoons here. Sadly some things happen in all suburbs. There aren't many suburbs I just wouldn't live in but these are the ones I wouldn't. Banksia Grove, Balga, Marangaroo, Koondoola, Mirrabooka. All other suburbs are OK, nowhere is perfect. You have to ask yourself what you want. When we moved here I didn't want to be any further north than Burns Beach Road. Not because they are bad areas but because I didn't want to have to drive a fair distance to the things that interested me. Facilities further north than that have picked up now with better shopping and transport links. If you like new estates then look at Carramar, Tapping, Butler, Somerley, Jindalee. If you like more established suburbs look at Kinross, Currambine, Connolly, Ocean Reef. Good locations, good schools both public and private. If you like larger blocks with land then parts of Wanneroo are OK but the suburb of Wanneroo does have it's fair share of anti social behaviour. Good luck.

Add Ridgewood & Merriwa to the list of places to avoid! IMO!!!

Add Ridgewood & Merriwa to the list of places to avoid! IMO!!!

A friend of mine who arrive the same time as me 10 years ago has lived in Merriwa the entire time and has had absolutely no issues. I would have no problem living there based on her experience.

A friend of mine who arrive the same time as me 10 years ago has lived in Merriwa the entire time and has had absolutely no issues. I would have no problem living there based on her experience.

Must live on the one & only good street!!!!

Google street view is a great starting point... and before we moved, we thought we 'knew' every single suburb we would like based on our street view trips! However, driving around each suburb made a huge difference for us. Places we thought we'd like, we didn't, others we not even thought about we really liked... and it's not even based on 'good' or 'bad' suburb... it was all about what felt right for us. Try to rent a short term place for a couple of weeks, then drive around and explore this places you think you'll like ?