3 months in .....

Bobopaulsy

I'm not getting a lot of time to post recently due to work kids etc but I found this forum fantastic and wanted to give an update of how we are .....

"Living The Dream"

Arrived 1st November 2013....

457 visa my wife is MH Nurse and I'm a nobody lol and we have 3 kids 15,9,4

Housing....

Stayed with friends for a whole month and they were fantastic with us up in Alkimos. Even used their car for week or so till we got ours.

The rental market was just quite simply horrendous and estate agents are certainly not user friendly. They were only interested in getting people through the doors on open houses and recommending people who has 3-6 months deposits!!!! We settled for an extremely nice house in Aveley just outside Ellenbrook where the market was just a bit less aggressive.

Biggest regret we settled for a house without a pool just so we could get a house. However by the end of this year we hope to buy and have a pool!

Visas & Jobs

Wife loves job and already has been told they'll support her to get onto PR visa. A colleague of hers went from 457 to PR in 4 months so here's hoping !!!!

Most things been ok with temp visa however I found it hard to get 2nd job after Xmas due to this I reckon. I got a job a week after I arrived but it was horrific and really disheartened me, lack of management, no internal structures, no training at all !!!!!

However now went back to car sales and work where I bought my car as it came up and they knew me enough to take a chance lol(details on other thread if you need help or advice) and I love it do much now they can't get me to take a day off lol

Schooling

15 and 9 year old only lasted 2 days at their schools and hated it !!!!! A few issues but we took them out and enrolled in private school and started last week. Seem more settled now and I get a smile as the 15 year old leaves home with pretty dress, no make up, hair in a bobble, proper school bag !!!!!!!! (Yesssss )

Wee man of 4 just loves kindy so he's sorted now they all at same school. Swan Anglican

Cost wise we are $1300 a month for 3 kids so not at all that bad apart from the $800 for books etc and same again for uniforms lol

Cost of living

Ok yes it's dearer for food , way dearer for alcohol lol BUT we earn better so we are living a similar life as we did in UK and that was my first ambition....

Oh and yeah renting is just stupidly expensive lol

Out and about

Done quite a bit, free prison, cottesloe a few times

Bought season passes to Splash Water park at Bullsbrook which was brilliant investment

Spent Australia Day at Langley Park from 2pm to 10pm and was best best day of my life.... Oh yeah note to self next year remember to take beverages as I stupidly thought I'd be able to get a beer there lol do it was a water and soft drink day lol

Spent last Sunday at adventure world and yet another brilliant day

Socially

We're not over active but spend slot of time with friends in Ellenbrook and other friends in Alkimos. We have no family here and have never been before so it will take time. Also with my long hours and wife's shifts it is a bit difficult

I've not had chance to play/coach football yet which I was very keen to do, particularly coaching however with our working hours that will have to wait.

Outcomes

Loving it

Loving it

Loving it

Definitely

"Living Our Dreams"

****Please do remember this is my opinions only****

Sorry if I bored you

Allan

Great, you sound like you're settling in pretty well and taking it slow is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure Langley park would have been a dry event anyway so even if you'd remembered your beers, if caught you would have had it confiscated and might have ended up with a fine. Australia day is very special though, glad you enjoyed it.

A great read for those yet to make it over. Interested in your take on private schools and how they are affordable. Whilst still in the UK and comparing all ones outgoings to how much one earns here, makes $1,300 sound a lot on top of the rent etc, for a regular incomes. I'm guessing as you said, that once you start earning the dollar it shrinks the perception of the outgoings.

Really pleased it is working out for you and that you are 'Living the Dream'. Good for you! Certainly didn't Bore any of us. Keep us up dated.

Lovely to hear your update especially as a MH nurse myself, if you don't mind would your wife mind sharing how she found finding work and how she is finding settling in? I am so worried about not being able to find work once we have a visa in place! I am not sure whether to risk making the move without a job in place.

Always lovely to hear peoples experiences of setting in, thankyou.

Julie

Lovely post and not boring at all, it is great for us about to embark on this dream to see the realities and to have a glimpse of that to come! How do you find the cost of the private schooling? I agree it sounds a lot on top of everything but for 3 it seems relatively OK :) what did your children dislike about the public school?

Great, you sound like you're settling in pretty well and taking it slow is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure Langley park would have been a dry event anyway so even if you'd remembered your beers, if caught you would have had it confiscated and might have ended up with a fine. Australia day is very special though, glad you enjoyed it.

Langley park had a limited alcohol policy this year which worked well on the whole.

Great to hear folk settling so well ;-)