Count down to launch date

Akasully2

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good luck sully, have a great flight, looking forward to reading your updates from oz !!!

big hugs. xx

Nearly midnight and I should be asleep as I need to be up at 6am to get ready for the airport.

Today has been stressy trying to stuff too much into the suitcases. I thought I had it Sussed only to find that collectively they went over the limit. So late tonight when I should have been resting I was decanting clobber and dumping it all over the place. The house looks a tip.

Whilst this was happening I had calls from my best friend and sister who sounded really perky and excited for us. I felt bad that I was still doing the cases as we chatted. Then my mum called who could hardly speak as she was crying so much, actually sounded broken hearted. I cheered her up by recounting exactly what I was I doing with the cases and how I was in a foul mood. Being the lovely mum she is, she went into fix it mode with concern and completely forgot about crying. Mission completed. I then back to the cases. Finished. Still have little things I wish I had done but too late now. I'll just have to tackle them from down under.

Nearly there now...I'll be at the airport in the morning. Still feels unreal. Can't believe we made this dream come true. Not feeling excited as I would have expected. Just knackered and overwhelmed. Expecting the excitement to hit me at the airport. Night night, last sleep in England!

Hi all, we are at Singapore airport and feeling very tired with swollen ankles! Lovely sight. The airline were brilliant, best we have ever travelled with, couldn't do enough for us. The air here is very humid, great for the ankles, not.

a tip for future travellers...no need to stack up on masses of snacks as we usually do because they provide them free as and when you want them.

leaving London was strangely unemotional, no tears. I only got weepy when I turned round and saw the OH bend down and kiss his mum on the head. Lump in my throat. Pulled myself together and been fine since until we watch a sad movie on the plane then the tears came easily. Daft I know. Nearly there!!!

Edited by Akasully2

Our last day in Singapore Sully! We fly again tomorrow morning so doing a bit of packing now. It is very humid here and a bit of a shock after the 33% humidity and cold temperatures of the UK! It has been 35 degrees with 75% humidity this week in Singers. It's the humidity that's always the killer. It's worse at 26 degrees and 99% humidity which we experienced in Port Douglas, Australia....nothing evaporates!

Safe travels and hope to meet you soon!

Lou

Wow, I have to say that for some reason this thread has made me more emotional than anything I have ever read in my 6 years of browsing these forums! I am still 477 days away but the tears were flowing listening to you describing your children hugging and all your goodbyes. I am not even particularly close to my parents and I have lived away from my friends for 3 years but OMG I am dreading the good byes. I think you managed it fantastically.

Looking forward to hearing your arrival report xx

Dont worry Lou and Sully,

No humidity here, we have had a few showers, but mostly beautiful sun today.

You are both soooo nearly here, it is literally the last few hours for you both.

Take care.

Sarah XX

Hello, or should I now say, G,Day as we have landed!!!!!!!

Before I recount my experiences, I must say a big thank you to all those that have joined in with this thread. It really is lovely to open the iPad and find a load of good wishes and also contributions from those going through the same. So Lou, we were in the same place at the same time. I must admit I couldn't hack that humidity! I wish you well on the last bit of your journey too.

And Jac, sorry to make you sob! I think by writing it down it has been a great therapeutic way of dealing with it all and also hopefully an insightful way of sharing what is to come for those of you that are still to do it.

So, since arriving at Perth airport I have made some observations.... Firstly, the view out of the plane window was much greener than I expected, however, it wasn't the rich lush green of Queensland but instead I saw a dryish warn brown soil with loads of green trees springing up from it. On closer inspection around the airport I noticed that the earth was pure sand, even workmen who had dug down 15ft were still standing in sand! Palm trees, more European trees and noisey parrots surrounded us as we collected the hire car. It was tipping down as we came outside, literally bouncing off the warm pavements, though it still felt mild at 23 degrees. The landscape reminded me of driving from an airport in Florida but the wonderful thing was that we drove on the same side of the road!

One thing that has delighted me since being here is the people. Literally everyone we have spoken to us has been friendly, open and helpful. From the girls in the duty free, to customs guys to the rental agent, they have all been chilled and welcoming. I love the Aussies!

We are now on the 7th floor of an apartment block that has views of the Swan River. My son asked if there was anything dangerous in it. I just laughed and said Swans. The agent said it could have Bull Sharks in it as it was so close to the sea!

Feeling very tired and grubby. Want a shower but realise that I took out all the toiletries to adjust the suitcase weight. All I want to do it soak in the tub and wash my hair but all I can find in my bag is conditioner and moisturiser, no shampoo!!! Plus the shops are shut now. Can I really wash my hair with a bar of soap? Cardboard hair tomorrow?!

Whilst this is so new to me I am going to record my first observations because I am certain that after just a week or two I won't notice them anymore. I have always read other people's posts, sharing their own experiences of reaching Perth, with relish. The more detail the better. So now it is my turn to feed other people's hunger for detail! I hope it doesn't bore you, I know I natter on!

Edited by Akasully2

Hello, or should I now say, G,Day as we have landed!!!!!!!

Before I recount my experiences, I must say a big thank you to all those that have joined in with this thread. It really is lovely to open the iPad and find a load of good wishes and also contributions from those going through the same. So Lou, we were in the same place at the same time. I must admit I couldn't hack that humidity! I wish you well on the last bit of your journey too.

And Jac, sorry to make you sob! I think by writing it down it has been a great therapeutic way of dealing with it all and also hopefully an insightful way of sharing what is to come for those of you that are still to do it.

So, since arriving at Perth airport I have made some observations.... Firstly, the view out of the plane window was much greener than I expected, however, it wasn't the rich lush green of Queensland but instead I saw a dryish warn brown soil with loads of green trees springing up from it. On closer inspection around the airport I noticed that the earth was pure sand, even workmen who had dug down 15ft were still standing in sand! Palm trees, more European trees and noisey parrots surrounded us as we collected the hire car. It was tipping down as we came outside, literally bouncing off the warm pavements, though it still felt mild at 23 degrees. The landscape reminded me of driving from an airport in Florida but the wonderful thing was that we drove on the same side of the road!

One thing that has delighted me since being here is the people. Literally everyone we have spoken to us has been friendly, open and helpful. From the girls in the duty free, to customs guys to the rental agent, they have all been chilled and welcoming. I love the Aussies!

We are now on the 7th floor of an apartment block that has views of the Swan River. My son asked if there was anything dangerous in it. I just laughed and said Swans. The agent said it could have Bull Sharks in it as it was so close to the sea!

Feeling very tired and grubby. Want a shower but realise that I took out all the toiletries to adjust the suitcase weight. All I want to do it soak in the tub and wash my hair but all I can find in my bag is conditioner and moisturiser, no shampoo!!! Plus the shops are shut now. Can I really wash my hair with a bar of soap? Cardboard hair tomorrow?!

Whilst this is so new to me I am going to record my first observations because I am certain that after just a week or two I won't notice them anymore. I have always read other people's posts, sharing their own experiences of reaching Perth, with relish. The more detail the better. So now it is my turn to feed other people's hunger for detail! I hope it doesn't bore you, I know I natter on!

Welcome to a cold and rainy Perth. Tomorrow it is going to be a little less wet so hopefully you will get out and about to enjoy a little. Good luck with it all and if you need any advice about things up Ocean Reef way just shout, I have lived in the neighbouring suburb for coming up 9 years so hopefully know a few interesting bits of info.

Guest Guest6235

Hope the next week or so go well Sully as you get to know your surroundings...it seems like a good time to go weather wise with it feeling cooler. I bet it seems a bit surreal that you are now there.

glad the journey was a safe one and I hope you settle into WA life really well. I'm so happy for all you soon to be Perth people and look out for your updates but can't help feeling a bit green-eyed at your successful arrival in aus. I know you have all been where I am and just hope that we will be in your footsteps in the next 12 months or so.......

good luck to you all,

J x

Welcome to a cold and rainy Perth. Tomorrow it is going to be a little less wet so hopefully you will get out and about to enjoy a little. Good luck with it all and if you need any advice about things up Ocean Reef way just shout, I have lived in the neighbouring suburb for coming up 9 years so hopefully know a few interesting bits of info.

Thanks v. Much. that info will come in handy once we get up that way next week. Cheers.

Hey, Bean, don't be too jealous. You'll be here soon enough. We haven't even started to scratch the surface here yet but I'll show it to you through my eyes. That will have to keep you going until you can see it for yourself. Not long now, I remember thinking it was months away but the time has wizzed passed. X

Oh my goodness I can't believe you're finally there already it's gone so quick!!! Aaaaaah I'm so happy for you and like been a little envious I'm not there with you already but I know time flies so I'll enjoy my English heritage for a little while yet before gong down under next year!! I look forward to absorbing your words and imagery like a sponge! Xxx

Morning Sully, welcome to another day in Perth. The weather is set to be rainy today so I hope you can make the most of your time in the city but even walking end to end it should only take about 20 minutes so it's not like you'll get very wet.

The best of luck to you and if you're down Freo way (take the boat along the river or a train from Perth station), let me know and I'd be happy to show you round.