EOI Question

Scotty

Hi,

I was told the answer to this question before but I have forgotten the answer so some help would be good.

I will be 32 when I submit my EOI so this will get me 30 points but it will only be a couple of months until I am 33, when I will only be eligible for 25 points. If I submit my EOI when I am 32 but I do not get invited to apply for a visa until I am 33, what happens? Do I still get the 30 points? but the visa application must be for some points as the EOI?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Well it looks like it is going to be a tight schedule.

My birthday is 23rd of April. I have just sent my qualifications to Engineers Australia (12-16 weeks wait), My IELTS is tomorrow, theres another on 6th of December if I need it. Looks like it will be end of February until I will be able to submit my EOI with 65 points.

We will see what happens. Fingers crossed!

If you have lodged EOI and not been invited to apply your points will automatically be reduced on your birthday.

You you require positive skills assessment and IELTS results to lodge valid EOI without these you can only do a draft.

All info will be required when apply for visa, you have 28days to upload these once you apply, you have 60 days to apply from the day you receive your invitation.

Thanks for the info. Starting to get nervous about my IELTs tomorrow now. I just finished my degree this year and I am more nervous about my IELTS than I was for any of my degree exams haha.

So I can register with the website and do a draft whilst I am waiting for my skilss assessment and IELTS?

Once I receive my ITA I can then submit and pay for my visa quite quickly then upload the documents after?

Hi scotty.

I'm in similar situation to you. I turn 33 in Feb next yr. I can still get the points required but would need a higher score in the IELTS test. I submitted my docs to Vetassess for my skills assessment via my agent. Once they received them, I got the positive result back in just over a week. Wasn't expecting it to be that quick. I now have to do a practical test as I'm an Electrician. Booked on to a practical 3 weeks after getting the ok to progress. All going pretty quick, lot quicker than expected. Not sure Engineers Australia will have similar times for processing. Good luck thou.

Ps. How did the IELTS go? Got mine in a couple of weeks.

My IELTS did not go well. Looking back, my major 2 problems were my spelling and my handwriting.

Spelling - its surprising what words you forget how tospell under pressure. Google the top 100 misspelled words and generally brush up on your spelling.

Handwriting - mine is messy at tye best of times. I think my problem is I typed most of my practice essays on the computer. This was a bad move. It both hides my bad spelling and how slow my handwriting is.

I need all 8's so I know I did not get what I need. It takes 13 days.

I have one other tip. I even stuffed up the listening test as I tried. My tip for this is lie, lie and lie again. If you tell the truth you find yourself trying to think for too long. I was asked about the last book I read. I don't read books and I found myself trying to think of the actual last book I read when I should have just made it up.

I need all 8's so I know I did not get what I need. It takes 13 days.

I have one other tip. I even stuffed up the listening test as I tried. My tip for this is lie, lie and lie again. If you tell the truth you find yourself trying to think for too long. I was asked about the last book I read. I don't read books and I found myself trying to think of the actual last book I read when I should have just made it up.

I did mine in Aberdeen. They are only ecery 6 weeks gere so I am going to book for 6th dec to sit again. My advice would be staet studying today. I did a month of study and I still messed it up.

I am an Engineer. The problem is, I am a numbers person not a words person.

Do you need all 8's?

Where you doing yours?

I just typed up full notes on areas where I need to improve so I thought I would share them with you.

Listening

• Revise spelling – Cannot get the mark for a correct answer if you cannot spell the word.

Reading

• Revise more practice tests from the internet. I found some of the questions to be quite subjective, especially some of TRUE / FALSE / NOT GIVEN questions. The test I sat had 2 sections which were this format.

Writing

• Timing here is a big issue. I had a brain freeze at the start of this section. I think it was because I was trying to remember too many things, really need to relax more on the day. I ended up spending too much time on Task 1and then ran out of time in Task 2, I did finish but did not leave enough time to review.
  • Task 2 – There are 3 different formats of questions here. AGREE / DISAGREE, DISCUSSION OR 2 PART QUESTION. I really was not prepared for the 2 part questions and that was what came up. Most of the examples on the net were agree/disagree or discussion. Need to learn structure for the answer to a 2 part question.
  • Handwriting – So used to typing now and hardly ever write by hand. I stupidly typed up most of my practice essays when I should have been writing them by hand and using a stopwatch to time myself. This will also improve the quality of my handwriting, my handwriting is really messy.

Speaking

• I underestimated the length of time you have to speak for. I need to time myself speaking for 2 minutes as I hand to many pauses.
  • They key here is, if in doubt, make it up. I wasted time trying to think of truthful answers to the questions. Just make it up!

I hope these help!

I just typed up full notes on areas where I need to improve so I thought I would share them with you.

Listening

• Revise spelling – Cannot get the mark for a correct answer if you cannot spell the word.

Reading

• Revise more practice tests from the internet. I found some of the questions to be quite subjective, especially some of TRUE / FALSE / NOT GIVEN questions. The test I sat had 2 sections which were this format.

Writing

• Timing here is a big issue. I had a brain freeze at the start of this section. I think it was because I was trying to remember too many things, really need to relax more on the day. I ended up spending too much time on Task 1and then ran out of time in Task 2, I did finish but did not leave enough time to review.
  • Task 2 – There are 3 different formats of questions here. AGREE / DISAGREE, DISCUSSION OR 2 PART QUESTION. I really was not prepared for the 2 part questions and that was what came up. Most of the examples on the net were agree/disagree or discussion. Need to learn structure for the answer to a 2 part question.
  • Handwriting – So used to typing now and hardly ever write by hand. I stupidly typed up most of my practice essays when I should have been writing them by hand and using a stopwatch to time myself. This will also improve the quality of my handwriting, my handwriting is really messy.

Speaking

• I underestimated the length of time you have to speak for. I need to time myself speaking for 2 minutes as I hand to many pauses.
  • They key here is, if in doubt, make it up. I wasted time trying to think of truthful answers to the questions. Just make it up!

I hope these help!

Scotty honestly don't beat your self up ... Speaking you will pass no worries I'm on my third attempt however (see my timeline at the bottom .. I get all 8s even 9s in some sections just the writing i keep gettin 7.5 just a smidgen from the 8s like you I also need all 8s ..

You will honestly surprise yourself .. But the best of luck xx

First time I did academic , the questions were; a graph showing data from 1990-2000 of mobile phone landline usage in china .. The second one was about do you think children in modern day societies have more freedom.

My second go was general ielts, it was a letter the second one was a written task I can't actually remember the questions .. The whole day was a blur, my third one is booked in on the 6th of December General test again.

my issue is grammar.. Where to put full stops commas etc ...

:ssign16: ... I've since purchased books focusing on writing and grammar at ielts and they should arrive next week ...