State Sponsorship

Wishaw2Perth

Hello everyone,

My family and I are hoping to emigrate to Perth next year. However my occupation was on the skills list for NT and not WA (even though there are lots of employment opportunities on Seek.com available in Perth and hardly any in Darwin) so my visa agent advised me to apply for a 190 visa for NT but that would still allow me to live and work in Perth. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done anything similar and did they encounter any problems in doing so?

My skills have been passed by the TRA so we are just waiting on the results of our Expression of Interest.

The reason we want to move to Perth instead of NT is because we already have friends and family in Perth and since we are bringing two young children we felt this would help us as we settle in.

Thanks in advance

I believe it is a moral obligation to remain in the state that sponsors you, however, I have read that there have been calls to make it more clear regarding the legal v moral obligations of such visa's.

I don't know enough about  the visa to say categorically you wouldn't be breaking any visa conditions if you applied for but had no intention of living (at least for a little while) in the sponsoring state - but you migration agent seems to think (from what you've written) that it will be ok.

As mentioned, it is only a moral and not a legal obligation. But, if it was regarded that you never had any intent to live in the sponsoring state, it can be regarded as visa fraud and visas cancelled, though I have never actually heard of it being done.

Be aware though that NT routinely refuse 190 requests and instead offer a 489. So, you would need to be happy with this and what it entails.

Thanks for the replies.

I am aware we may be given a 489 visa and we are happy to live regional but as mentioned in some other threads living there is fine but getting jobs within the regional areas seems to be difficult. We expect to find out the result of our EOI by December so we'll be keeping our fingers and toes crossed for a 190!

8 hours ago, New Life Down Under said:

I have been hearing that this may cause a problem if and when you are looking at Citizenship as you have not complied with the conditions on your visa!

That would be a worry as we plan to move permanently. Our emigration agent has not mentioned that to us. I would hate to be fully integrated into a new life and be denied citizenship at the end of our PR.

I would never advise a client to apply for 190 state sponsorship if it was not their intention to honour the sponsorship, as verystormy has advised you could potentially face visa cancellation for providing false or misleading information.  Currently it is not a legal obligation but a moral one, however I would not advise you to accept SS if you are intending to not even try and find employment and commit to the State.

• Like 1