Wishaw2Perth

State Sponsorship

Hello everyone,

My family and I are hoping to emigrate to Perth next year. However my occupation was on the skills list for NT and not WA (even though there are lots of employment opportunities on Seek.com available in Perth and hardly any in Darwin) so my visa agent advised me to apply for a 190 visa for NT but that would still allow me to live and work in Perth. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done anything similar and did they encounter any problems in doing so?

My skills have been passed by the TRA so we are just waiting on the results of our Expression of Interest.

The reason we want to move to Perth instead of NT is because we already have friends and family in Perth and since we are bringing two young children we felt this would help us as we settle in.

Thanks in advance

I believe it is a moral obligation to remain in the state that sponsors you, however, I have read that there have been calls to make it more clear regarding the legal v moral obligations of such visa's.

I don't know enough about  the visa to say categorically you wouldn't be breaking any visa conditions if you applied for but had no intention of living (at least for a little while) in the sponsoring state - but you migration agent seems to think (from what you've written) that it will be ok.

As mentioned, it is only a moral and not a legal obligation. But, if it was regarded that you never had any intent to live in the sponsoring state, it can be regarded as visa fraud and visas cancelled, though I have never actually heard of it being done.

Be aware though that NT routinely refuse 190 requests and instead offer a 489. So, you would need to be happy with this and what it entails.

Thanks for the replies.

I am aware we may be given a 489 visa and we are happy to live regional but as mentioned in some other threads living there is fine but getting jobs within the regional areas seems to be difficult. We expect to find out the result of our EOI by December so we'll be keeping our fingers and toes crossed for a 190!

8 hours ago, New Life Down Under said:

I have been hearing that this may cause a problem if and when you are looking at Citizenship as you have not complied with the conditions on your visa!

That would be a worry as we plan to move permanently. Our emigration agent has not mentioned that to us. I would hate to be fully integrated into a new life and be denied citizenship at the end of our PR.

I would never advise a client to apply for 190 state sponsorship if it was not their intention to honour the sponsorship, as verystormy has advised you could potentially face visa cancellation for providing false or misleading information.  Currently it is not a legal obligation but a moral one, however I would not advise you to accept SS if you are intending to not even try and find employment and commit to the State.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By PerthAtHeart
        Looks like they have lowered the annual income threshold for this visa.  But i am troubled by the condition "have no dependents."
        Do they mean having no dependents who will come live with you in Oz?
        So if all my kids are of legal age and no longer legally dependent on me but they live outside Oz, does that meet the condition?
        Even if I have kids who are somewhat dependent on me (e.g. alimony) but they are overseas and I do not declare them in my application, do they bother to check?
        I am just trying to clarify the legal language of this visa and find a pathway, given that I am not under 45 and all skilled pathways are closed to me.  It used to be that you could apply for a 189/190 up to 50 y.o., with zero points for age but it is now "under 45 years of age at time of invitation" only.

Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405)
        Features - This temporary visa is for self-funded retirees who have no dependents and want to live in Australia during their retirement years.

Eligibility
        You must:
        be 55 years or older
        have no dependents (other than a partner)
        have an income of AUD 65 000 per year (or AUD 50 000 if you wish to live in a regional area)
        have a designated investment of AUD 750 000 in Australia (or AUD 500 000 if you wish to live in a regional area).
        This is the only retirement visa. If you are not eligible for this visa, you might be eligible for a parent visa.

Length of stay - Four years
        Cost - From AUD 330

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/405-
      • By Leannem1992
        Hi guys,
         I am applying for a De Facto visa and have to get a police check from Cyprus as I lived there 3 out of the ten years required. I went to school there but my mum threw away our residency slips and the old passport I had when I lived there! I am super worried because I called up and they said that to obtain the police check I need to have the 'pink slips' from my time there, which I have no way of obtaining living in Australia now.. 
        I have a letter from my school to say that I lived there, and I am British so presumably was living there under the EU regulations. 
        Can anyone help?! Do you have any experience in the case officers wavering police checks if they can't be obtained? I lived there until age 18 and I'm now 25. 
        Thank you so much in advance for any advice, 
        Leanne
      • By ScribblingSally

🥂🍴 🍽 Would you like to work as a casual chef for our award winning, friendly restaurant?
        Do you have experience, enthusiasm and are competent and versatile in the kitchen?
        The restaurant is in North Beach.
        We're after someone for a fortnight from October the 28th.
        We're open Tues thru' Saturday. Shift starts lunchtime on-wards.
        This two week period would be full-time casual, with the prospect of extra work afterwards.
        We were recently rated a 'must-visit' in a Sunday Times review.
        Even though we say it ourselves, we're a great team, so come and be part of it!
        You would probably need your own transport, as public transport isn't that reliable.
        Please text Sally with your phone number on 0401 566710 with brief details of past work 
        We look forward to hearing from you 😀