Missing UK

Cumbria

Well just to make you feel a whole lot better Mike, whilst the supermarkets are open today it's not worth venturing outside for fear of being blown away in the 70mph wind and rain, and the same applies to driving- absolutely treacherous. And then there's all those poor people down South who have had to leave their homes not knowing when they might return to their flooded towns and villages to salvage what might be left of their well earned belongings....... Feel any better yet?

there are no supermarket strolls or leisurely drives at the moment!

It's not unusual to miss the familiarity of what you left behind, particularly only a few weeks after arriving. Some people have made a list of things that made them want to move in the first place to help them reacquaint themselves with why they're here. Rather than thinking of things you're missing, that turns into rumination and can lead to you just thinking about it all the time and comparing. Remind yourself, it's a new country, a different country and it's about getting used to those distances.

You say you're missing driving to different cities - how many times would you have done that in the UK? Why not do it here? Why not go to a different place the amount of times you would have done so in the UK?

I've not missed the UK from the moment I arrived here, I've not really given myself time to do so.

'Miss' is probably the wrong word for me, certainly there are some things that are absent but they've been replaced by alternatives. My son and I used to enjoy getting the first train into London on a Sunday morning and cycling through the city back to our home. It was a lovely thing to do when it seemed the whole world was asleep and meandering through tall buildings, down crooked, narrow streets has been replaced with cycling along the river with wildlife instead of architecture.

Some of the things you mention I find curious - do you really miss supermarkets? Did a trip to Tesco nourish your soul? What part of that experience do you miss; the convenience of having more than you could need in one location, brand familiarity or perhaps the social aspect?

Why do you feel there's any pressure on you to remain here indefinitely? Why not give yourselves a goal or a period of review? How long have you been here? Why not commit to reviewing your situation and making a decision in say, two years, then five years, ten? Nothing has to be forever, there may be barriers in your way but they're simply there to overcome, nothing is impossible.

I really think you should consider what it is about those experiences you mention that you truly miss and see if they can't be found here.

Give yourself a break also, you've been here a few weeks, a long holiday. You might never feel settled here but it's pretty soon to really know.

Most of today it has been grey and cold. It has rained and rained. I have stood next the radiators in the hope of defrosting myself. Everyone is miserable. Several people at work have said they feel flat and think they suffer with SAD. They looked at me enviously, knowing I am going to Oz soon.

As for tesco, I can understand the lack of familiarity with the new places. When I returned from an Oz holiday last year, I said I would never criticise tesco again, I loved the selection and comfort of it. Weird to crave a supermarket but it is just what you are used to.

Make yourself a list of reasons why you wanted to go. Either that or get yourself a copy of the Daily Mail on line. One read of that will cheer you up and make you grateful for what you have!

Edited by Akasully2
Auto correct gone mad

Guest guest9824
Hi all,

We arrived in January this year

We are starting to miss UK strangely enough

Supermarkets

Driving to various cities within UK

And the whole thing about may not go back for good plays trick on your mind

Welcome and value your thoughts

Mike

Hi Mike, not strange to miss familiarity, I don't think. Don't beat yourself up about it, after all it's all some of us have known for most of our lives. Never say never is my moto, I personally feel if I said to myself we were never going to go back, it would make me hanker for something even more, I know it sounds daft, as we probably won't go back, but never say never works for me. Yes I too missed the supermarkets, their choices etc, but it's something you just adapt to, makes you think more about making meals from scratch, with there being less ready made stuff available here, so my love for cooking has become almost an obsession here, I love it.

What things do you like to do? Have you been for long drives here, further NOR up to Yanchep or SOR down to Mandurah or beyond? It can be quite warm on the beach this time of year, espeically for us peanuts, we roast quite easily :) so maybe take yourselves up to Kings Park and feel the breeze...or maybe treat yourselves to a day cruise on the river., or maybe just pack a few Sarnies and head to a local park.

Youve not been here very long, so just take stock of all you have done to get here, and look forward to what WA might have to offer you. Have fun!

pea

We too miss home. I hear its natural, but when you miss it that much and you begin to resent Australia and only see negatives it becomes a depressing spiralling perpetual nightmare. I'm trying to aim for a decision at 2 years but somedays, working at the airport, i'm tempted to get a standby ticket home there and then. Only positive days come from days away from the depressing place we live and watching the kids play on the beach ( sunday was Scarborough, fantastic!). I've been told it gets better....it realy couldn't get much worse.

I'm not allowed a sharp knife at dinner time!

I think you are focusing too much on " it's not like home " Tesco etc.

is there really anything you can't get that you need ?

you need to adapt to what you have or it will never feel like home

I have to agree with Portlaunay, since stepping off the plane I have never once thought about going back, so much more time spent outdoors here doing stuff, too busy to think about Sainsburys

Total natural to miss things and feel home sick after all the excitement and adrenaline drops away, so please don't worry and beat yourself up. Try and stay positive and busy, remember why you came on this adventure and try not to look back. Time will take care of the rest, honest :jiggy:

Edited by aligard

the first time I stepped off the plane and then looked at the shops and the "CITY" I know what you mean but now nearing my visa and 11 visits <3 mths at a time> I look forward to the shops, the beach,the easy roads, the weather,etc but most of all I have understood all our cities for shops are the same ,the motorways and roads are full,the weather is beyond belief this week, no smiles about everyone has their head down. Please believe me I am so hard to please,look around you today, visit that park, stand in kings park and look at the swan river go to Freo this weekend, take the kids to Go Bananas see your day a little different ,enjoy that coffee overlooking the ocean.It will slowly begin to feel like home.

The main things I think I will miss is the history of the uk, being able to go to London in 2 hours but do I do it NO ,just in my mind

I can identify with how you feel as the first thing I missed was the food I was used to getting in a British supermarket. I think its all about familiarity and although I arrived wanting to be in a different country (rather than the UK with sunshine) it still takes some getting used to. A few other things grated on me around the same time..driving, strong Aussie accents even but it passed very quickly and I haven't felt so strongly since. We are 7 months in. I think I have just got used to the food here and have stopped comparing! Hang in there and I'm sure it will be fine in a short while.

I don't mean to flippant, but the reason why you are in Australia is because you wanted to leave the uk, surely?

Try and cast your mind back to the day you got your visas. I bet the plane couldn't arrive quick enough.

We are in the UK, due to come to Perth in June. It's exciting and scary in equal measure.

I'd like to say also that you miss what you miss. If you miss supermarkets, you miss supermarkets!

We live in Edinburgh and I know that I will really miss the Edinburgh Festival, this is despite the fact that every August I curse it because the town is so busy. You don't necessarily have to love something to miss it!

I hope you get through this, and I hope you make the decision, for you.

I'd also like to say thanks for posting. It helps those of us in the UK know what we are letting ourselves for. Before you go its all too easy to only think about the good things. Tell you what, let's swap for a couple of days. I'll think about all the things I'll miss and you think about all the reasons you left!

Hi all,

We arrived in January this year

We are starting to miss UK strangely enough

Supermarkets

Driving to various cities within UK

And the whole thing about may not go back for good plays trick on your mind

Welcome and value your thoughts

Mike

Hi - just remember why you moved...... a totally different lifestyle mate.

:smile:

This is just my thoughts on the subject, but I think we spend a huge chunk of our time planning our emigration that it becomes a kind of addiction. We research every little thing, paperwork for visas, flights, accommodation, schools, cars, jobs etc constantly checking e-mails, PP, POI, prepping houses for sale or let, sorting out pets. Then you arrive, get settled. Then what. There's a big void in your life where the emigration journey once filled. Then boom. You feel lost.

I know that I am gonna feel the same way because I have an addictive personality. When I decide to do something I put my heart and soul into it. If I wasn't so busy doing what I am to get to Australia, I would be at uni doing another course, or climbing up the ladder at work, or changing direction in my career. When I get settled I know for a fact I'll be looking to do something else and plan on volunteering some of my time to a good cause.

Maybe you could start planning your next thing, maybe travel, a hobby, night school, volunteering or something that will get you excited and start looking forward to something.

Debs

Good words Debs! Wife and I totally consumed and uber excited with kicking off this migration journey... Only 3 weeks back from Perth and half the house redecorated for selling, ielts test booked, cvs updated. Reminds me of 10 years ago when we built this house - huge excitement, intense planning and stress for 18 months then a big void when it was complete. Trick I think is to set some smaller but meaningful goals, plan things out over rest of year to look forward to in WA and set yourself personal challenges to distract. I'm planning couple of half marathons this year and lakes 3000footers challenge in summer...if I didn't do this the migration obsession would just consume every second of spare time I'm sure....

All the best...Live, love and enjoy Perth!

This is just my thoughts on the subject, but I think we spend a huge chunk of our time planning our emigration that it becomes a kind of addiction. We research every little thing, paperwork for visas, flights, accommodation, schools, cars, jobs etc constantly checking e-mails, PP, POI, prepping houses for sale or let, sorting out pets. Then you arrive, get settled. Then what. There's a big void in your life where the emigration journey once filled. Then boom. You feel lost.

I know that I am gonna feel the same way because I have an addictive personality. When I decide to do something I put my heart and soul into it. If I wasn't so busy doing what I am to get to Australia, I would be at uni doing another course, or climbing up the ladder at work, or changing direction in my career. When I get settled I know for a fact I'll be looking to do something else and plan on volunteering some of my time to a good cause.

Maybe you could start planning your next thing, maybe travel, a hobby, night school, volunteering or something that will get you excited and start looking forward to something.

Debs

Your right deb! I had these feelings after my wedding lol. N Not cause I was unahppy with my hubby (hes a gem )haha but because I missed being Bridezilla! Exactly the same Im a nurse too Ive been constant since I stated my training from diploma to advanced to degree and then 5 other modules 4 years in lol.

haha but I too am currently a poms in perth addict lol.

Haha and for the first time in my life Im actually addicted to exercise (if anyone ever sees me dont expect a skinny mini).

I anticipate some of these feelings too though Cumbria!

I suppose UK is where our roots were but I want ozzy for my little girls future.

Best of luck :) xxxx

Lauren

Hang in there... Back in the UK, Primark and TK Maxx were my guilty pleasures!... Along with the Florist that i co-managed for the last eight years! (I would visit on my days off just to get a flower fix!) ... Sounds daft, but theses places would play a huge part in my day to day life... Along with Tesco!..Friends and family would ask how i would live without these places and my answer would be... I really don't know! I have never been great with food 'alternatives'...would'nt eat much when i went on holiday as the food was 'different'!!!

So, it's early days for us... We've been here just over a month but already i have come to terms with this is what we have available to us here so i just need to deal with it! I did try to mentally prepare myself for it too! The supermarkets are'nt anywhere as big here but that's cool by me.... I spent far too long in Tesco anyway... I would pop there for a couple of things and two hours and best part of £100 later, i would return!! (Usually with not much to show for it and would still wonder what the hell we would have for dinner that night!) It would lure me in to all the BOGOF's everytime! Stuff we did'nt need!...... We have eaten so much better and healthier since being here... Apart from all the Tim Tams that are on offer everywhere!!

The way i see it... Family and friends aside, the things that i could quite easily miss are the materialistic things... The things that i wanted to get away from and raise my children in a not so materialistic place.

I too miss popping into London... It was 40mins away on the Piccadilly line from me... I would go often, sometimes on my own to just people watch.......nothing to do with the giant Primark on Oxford street, Honest!!!!!!!! But now I look forward to spending time in Perth... Taking in what this city has to offer. London will always be there when the time comes for us to go back and visit but now i want to enjoy the next chapter...and embrace it.

Hopefully in time it will become clearer for you.... Good luck and i hope it get's easier :)

Amy